Discuss Tile on tile - lesson learnt! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robbieraven

Thought I'd share a bad experience I had today so any of you that come across this won't fall into the same trap. Tiled a kitchen floor, customer wanted me to go over existing tiles which were sound and nice and flat, all well so far. Made the mistake of grouting the next day and even though I'd used BAL SPT rapid set I now have an efflorescence nightmare where the minerals in my Micromax2 "Efflorescence FREE!! Smoke have leeched out to the surface as they had nowhere else to go, apparently if tiling onto tile leave for 2-3 days before grouting! I have some FILA residue remover to try in the morning but I'm not a happy camper. :thumbsdown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Not sure about LTP, but is there not a minimum amount of days you should leave the grout to cure before applying some cleaners?

If using an acid based cleaner then yes but solvex is fine for even calcium based stone. It is a coating remover and can be used for epoxy residue , so a safer bet for polymers.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Thanks for sharing your bad experience. Grout rescue or Aquamix colorant will do the trick.
Cold weather, porcelain tiles, decoupling membranes, certain substrates will all add to the curing time of adhesive. You live and learn (well..................you learn from the Tilers Forums!).

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile on tile - lesson learnt! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have had both polished and matt textured wood effect tiles laid in my house and am having...
Replies
Views
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
H
Hi Guys, think I made a boo boo. I've put up about 15 sq.m. of 600 x 300 V and B porcelain tiles...
Replies
Views
K
Please help - I know nothing about paving/tiling....!! We have just had some sandstone paving...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB