UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tile shops - some can't be trusted in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

I have noticed that some tile shop employees do not seem to know what they are talking about and give bad advice to their customers.
One job I did recently - the vertical brick bathroom, customer bought tiles and adhesive from a reputable tile shop in my area- tiles were 620 x 330 large format - they supplied him with Dunlop tub adhesive for the walls !! needless to say I told them to take it back.
Anyone got any other gems of advice etc given by tile shops ?

C

Concept PHT

A classic one a few weeks ago. New tile shop. Owner apparantly been in the game 'for years'.

Customer went to his shop on my reco, to get his tiles etc. (scratch each others back theory). Anyway, the store owners says the customer wants to use the adhesive / grout at his store. It was PCI stuff, i have used th adhesive before but not the grout. Not bad adhesive.

Firstly, the store owner tried to push onto me normal rapidset for a flexi floor, with the line 'ar, don't worry it will be ok' kind of crap. So I told him straight I didn't want it as it wouldn't work - although he was adamant it would.

When it came to the grout, according to him, the customer specifically wanted a particular colour of beige from his store. So i was stuck, as its not the brand I normally use (Granfix). So I had to run with it with the store owners word it was good for flexi floors.

Job done, week later - call back (my only ever 1). Grout has lifted. Went back to look, re grouted and changed a few tiles just in case. Grout seemed very brittle. Seemed to lack the polymer that flexi has. Pointed it out to customer. He was happy I came back.

The following week, another call. More grout lifting. Customer then denies specifying the grout, and the store owner denies that the customer chose it. So the buck stops with me unless I want to drag it through court. But for 140 quid (which is what i'm paying somebody to go back and re grout with my gear), I would much rather take the hit and save my rep.

All i'm saying now is 'every dog has it's day........'

L

Leatherface

been in tile shop today for some tiles for customer. polished porcelain asked if they needed sealing because some do and he says nobody seals porcelain tiles they dont need it i said some do. so he got all the other people who worked in shop to come over and tell me they dont need sealed. 5 of them making me look like i dont know what im on about
.....pricks!

In future -don't ask !!
Always seal polished Porcelain !!!!
Also be careful with pencil marks - especially on light colours - almost impossible to get off

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile shops - some can't be trusted in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I am planning to tile bathroom with large porcelain tiles 1200x600 over water-resistant backer...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.