Discuss tile spacers and floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

what if your using cheap nasty tiles that vary in size, how do you keep the tiles from running out?

You need to use measurements and stick to them. So you have your straightedge on paralell line and then your square line. Say you are using 200 x 200 then take measurement of 5 + joints and use this to move away from the square line . If you want to and you are doind a largish room then create chalkline boxes by paralelling in each direction from the square line. Then just keep every 5 tiles inside that box and adjust the tile joints to fit . This comes in handy when you fit so called 'modular' tiles , in tilers speak they mean SIZEY :0).

This is how I used to do large quarry tile floors years ago ,in the days of 300m²/400m² tiled floors.

Hope that made sense.

Diggy

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
You need to use measurements and stick to them. So you have your straightedge on paralell line and then your square line. Say you are using 200 x 200 then take measurement of 5 + joints and use this to move away from the square line . If you want to and you are doind a largish room then create chalkline boxes by paralelling in each direction from the square line. Then just keep every 5 tiles inside that box and adjust the tile joints to fit . This comes in handy when you fit so called 'modular' tiles , in tilers speak they mean SIZEY :0).

This is how I used to do large quarry tile floors years ago ,in the days of 300m²/400m² tiled floors.

Hope that made sense.

Diggy

thanks for that...:thumbsup: ive been doing it that way for 30 years.....:lol:

ive never used spacers for floors just stright edges and chaulk lines, i was just trying finding out off those that use spacers all the time how they stop the tiles from running out when using cheap rubbish that vary in size....

P

Perry

thanks for that...:thumbsup: ive been doing it that way for 30 years.....:lol:

ive never used spacers for floors just stright edges and chaulk lines, i was just trying finding out off those that use spacers all the time how they stop the tiles from running out when using cheap rubbish that vary in size....
Diggy Andy were you two taught that or was it just common sense ? always done it but self taught

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Diggy Andy were you two taught that or was it just common sense ? always done it but self taught

it was the way i was taught, comes from the days when we used to fit hundreds of m2 6x6 pilks four square/pin head/dorset stone ect on large hotel refurbs and contract work, it helped to keep all the lines stright and stop you from running out, and ive continued to use the same method, square the room, and keep measuring 2 or more tiles back and fix to the stright edge..:thumbsup:

Reply to tile spacers and floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi first timer to tile, im getting all my prep work and tools. My question is will the self...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB