Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Tile weight on plaster board walls in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

W

wetdec

There seems to be some confusion on weight of tiles that can be used on plaster board with a number of figures being banded around from varying sources.

These are extracts from British Gypsum plaster board manufacturers tiling document issued April 2006 and is their current standing on the subject.

Tiles can be applied to drylined walls or the surface of lightweight partition systems to dado level or above. Tiling can be carried out in any type of building eitherb in dry areas or in areas subject to intermittent moisture conditions. Tiles up to 12.5mm thick with a maximum weight of 32kg/m2 can be accomodated (20kg/m2 for a plastered surface). The tiles are fixed using a suitable thin-bed adhesive to a nominal 3mm thickness.
Timber stud external walls or partitions ; where tiling is specified, designers should ensure that the timber is of sufficient dimensions to give a stable base for the additional loading
Tiling directly onto plaster : Before tiling commences any tapered joints should be filled with tile adhesive.
Tiling onto plaster : tiles up to 20kg/m2 can be applied directly to the thistle finish coats, except where the system includes a bonding agent. In this situation the total weight of tiles and plaster applied over a bonding agent is limited to 20kg/m2, therefore consideration should be given to tiling directly to the background. If plastering to provide a backround for tiles avoid polishing the surface. Polished plaster should be roughened and a suitable primer used. Tiles should not be applied directly to thistle undercoats with the exception of Thistle Dri-Coat
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

To further on this post I contacted BG for a little clarification :

Hi

Ok lets just be sure about this.

The 32kg/m2 is weight per m2 with the adhesive and grout of say 3kg/m2 factored in

Regards
Thank you for your further enquiry.

This weight is intended to include the combined weight of adhesive and grout, although in reality, this may be minimal.

Regards
Drywall Academy - Technical Advice Centre
Now that this is all clear where does that leave us tilers………..

I took 2 pieces of QUALITY high density Travertine so these figures are high.

10mm travertine 100x100mm square weighs 237grams

12.5mm travertine 100x100mm square weighs 291grams.

Using these 2 figures :

1m2 of 10mm travertine weighs 23.7kg

1m2 of 12.5mm travertine weighs 29kg

This would suggest that :

Un-plastered plaster board on studs fixed as per manufacturers guidelines can support 10 and 12.5mm travertine in large areas up to 3m high.

Un-plastered plaster board on dot and dab fixed as per manufacturers guidelines (drying time) can support 10 and 12.5mm travertine in large areas up to 3m high

If you find a hole in my math or other area shout out and I will redo it I not as good at numbers as Grumps…………….

W

wetdec

I have taken their figures and then done the math.

Remembering the grout gaps are measured at travertine weight so is cancelled out so I would say so ye.

Took figures from BG and Knauf

You asked the other day how I knew good quality travertine, this is the back NOT the front of the 12.5 I used m8 :

Attachments

• trav-back.gif
    141 KB · Views: 175
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile weight on plaster board walls in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB