Discuss Tiler Vs Builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

NWB Tiling

I've just had a call from a lady requiring bathroom , kitchen floor and kitchen splash tiled in the New Year. As yet i have not been round to view or measure.

However, she informs me that she currently has a builder in doing various works for her and that she will compare my quote with that of the builder.I've no idea if the builder can tile , aware of different backgrounds , etc

I realise some the detials atm are a bit scant, but any words of wisdom on how to get my quote accepted ( apart from giving a really low estimate).

Cheers

Nige

C

cornish_crofter

Provide a detailed quote, specifying what materials you would use. Also offer a 12 month guarantee against adhesive failure and workmanship, and any other issues you, as a tiler can think of.

If you can, include a print off of photos of similar work you've done before. I don't think the builder would be able to show any tiling photos.

If a general builder saw a quote like that he may run a mile ;)

C

cornish_crofter

The best thing that yu can do IMO is price up the job as usual give a written quote detailing all the work and the materials you will be using (always assume that you will be doing the work), then wait for the client to give you the go-ahead.
No use worrying what the builder, candlestick maker or Mr Bodgit is charging, you can't influence their pricing. :santa_cheesy:

True, but it's a matter of selling yourself on all aspects, not just price. If it were just price then the client would go for the cheapest quote.

When I'm up against another tradesman I always detail my quote as much as possible. I know that other tradesmen I've been compard to give vague estimates. On one such occasion I lost out on a job to another chap, it tunred out that the clients didn't get all the work they thought they were going to get. They've not told be as such but I walk past the house regularly and there is some fascia board/soffit that has not been replaced and needs it, which I had included in my quote. So I know that they weren't comparing like for like.

O

Olz

Just do a normal qoute, including exactly what your going to do, i wouldnt be getting in to the realms of the builder will be rubbish because of a b and c, at the end of the day you dont know the builder, what his skills are or if he's planning to do the tiling himself or sub it out to a tiler he has working for him.

The price is the price that your prepared to work for, no more no less, if you think your going to be undercut try and save the customer some money on materials to keep your price down without sacrificing your labour rate.

She may not have even had a quote from the builder or anyone else, she may just be saying that to put the seed of doubt in your mind that you need to be cheap to get the job!

D

doug boardley

Don't go buying work, treat your estimate as you would if builder wasn't involved, she may be trying to play you and the builder off against each other. If the builder is aware that you also are doing an estimate he may feel out of his depth and not bother. On your estimate detail the adhesives, primers, grouts etc you will be using, if the builders quote comes in cheaper ask the lady if the builder has given a detailed breakdown of materials.

E

enduro

I had this yesterday, a bit different circumstances. I also run a carpet and upholstery cleaning buisness with my wife, and i got a call from a lady who wanted her new settee protected with a scotchgard stain protector, so i went round to give her a quote, turned up with my box of tricks did a dye bleed test to see if the colours would run etc everything was fine and i quoted £75.00....she said that's expensive my cleaner can do it for £15.00..ok i said do they know about applying fibre & fabric rinse before applying scotchgard as you need this as a carrier for the protector...umm no they were going to use something out of a can. Anyway i got the job as she said i seem very professional and knew what i was talking about. So basically you have to make sure that when you quote it looks very professional, take the quote round in person and go through it with them, explain why you need to prime, use flexible and so on...Believe me this does work i have got loads of jobs this way, so don't just stick in the post with Tile kitchen walls £250.00...BE THE BEST AND IMPRESS :santa_cheesy:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sstilingservice

I agree with enduro I quted for a job a few week's ago and the lady said that the PLUMBER had offered to tile for her !!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway to cut a long story short . I quoted listed what I was going to do and how I was going to do it . Now the PLUMBER has messed up his measurement's and the entire jod has been put on standby because he can't fit the bath the way the customer wanted. Didn't check all the measurments first opps.

C

cornish_crofter

I had one job, when I started trading. I quoted £385 for it.

The lady then told me that she had had a quote for £335 from someone else. What she was really asking me is could I come down a bit, I didn't think the other tradesman actually existed.

I said I would match his price as I wasn't that busy. Getting the job purely because I came down to that figure reinforced my suspicions that this other chap didn't exist. I still made a good profit out of the job. I did get a bit of other work from them but then they moved.

Each call needs to be on its own merits. Very often the person doing the quote is the best person to judge whether the customer really does have someone quoting or not, forums like this one can only suggest approaches based on what other people think the situation could be.

However, whether you're up against anyone or not, putting together a marketing package with your quote would not be a bad idea, especially if you;ve got photos of some relitively complex work you've done. If she really does show this to a general builder he may feel that his time is better spent elsewhere, rather than trying to compete with someone who is rather more skilled than he is.

As for the price, quote as normal.

If you guarantee your work, make it clear and for what and how long.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doit4u

I agree with just about everything said about doing a detailed quote, after discussing the customers requirements and then selling your quote on quality.

I am wary of jobs passed on. A local plumber who normally does the whole job including tiling has passed a couple of jobs on to me.

One was OK, it was for the mother of one of his customers who wanted kitchen walls tiled after a new kitchen had been fitted by one of the big companies and he said he couldn't fit it in.

The other was for a bathroom floor to ceiling that he had change the suite on. Again he said he was to busy to do the tiling but I have a sneaky feeling he didn't fancy the job as the walls were in a hell of a state.

It was in one of those council houses that were built in the 60s by the poured concrete method. They had knocked the original seperate bathroom and toilet together and there was a 3/8 inch step between the two rooms. It was a right b**ch and took 1/2 as long as I anticipated. And I was once offered a cuppa all the time I was there - mind you that was probably a blessing - they bred boxer dogs and the place was humming.

I am also now wary of recommending other tradesmen because if they don't turn up or do a good job it comes back to haunt you.

One regular asked me for the name of a plasterer to do ceilings and walls to get rid of all the artex. The first one quoted and then never turned up and she was constantly ringing me. The second quoted and got the job and then asked her how much I was charging for the tiling and offered to undercut, luckily she knew my work and stuck with me. Needless to say I won't be giving that plaster ( Do not swear )number to anyone in the future.

Reply to Tiler Vs Builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

R
Hi guys, im Rob and i need tilers for future work i have coming up, if you could email me your...
Replies
Views
I
M
Hi all, I am going to a play tomorrow night an it is about 4 tilers. Did anyone on the forum...
Replies
Views
M
Just been out to a job to price up a new bathroom installation. The lady who's just moved in...
Replies
Views
Marksmithtiling
M
Joe got in touch via this site after I posted about a Victorian style path in April. My search...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
Hi we are a Somerset based tiling company and need extra help on the Olympic village at...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiler Vs Builder
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.