Discuss Tiler Vs Builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

One regular asked me for the name of a plasterer to do ceilings and walls to get rid of all the artex. The first one quoted and then never turned up and she was constantly ringing me. The second quoted and got the job and then asked her how much I was charging for the tiling and offered to undercut, luckily she knew my work and stuck with me. Needless to say I won't be giving that plaster ( Do not swear )number to anyone in the future.

What a complete ------! The only person he's shafted is himself. You still got the job you were going to get and now you'll be recommending a different plasterer.

I put a builder in touch with a client and he got around £15ks worth of work. He was old school and respected boundaries. Whenever the client asked him if he was interested in doing work that may impinge on me he asked the client to discuss it with me first.

As a result of my putting him in touch with the client the builder handed me 2 more bathrooms on a plate! He told the client that he felt I should do the work on those. I didn't want the £15k job as it was too much for me to take on at once, but the builder felt that I should benefit in some way, so he suggested to the client that I was approached to do those bathrooms and worked for the client directly, whereas he and his guys cracked on with the other stuff.

R

Rob Z

Hi Nige,

To echo what many have already said, I try to put plenty of information into the proposal that will hopefully make us stand out from the crowd. Including technical details about the installation itself, and details that are specific to this installation, might make all the difference. For many customers, they are used to a tile contractor giving them some sort of flat rate to set the tile ($X per sq ft, or $X per tub surround, etc), and they end up thinking that all tile is the same and a "what's the big deal, you just glue the tile down" sort of mentality. Giving them the information and detail that is needed to trigger a discussion could let them see that what you have to offer is better than the other guys.

Of course there will always be the customers that want it done as cheaply as can be done, and don't care that you have much more to offer than the guys that are just the lick-em, stick-em type. But for the more discriminating customer, I've found that my approach yields a good rate of success getting the job and with the customer being happy to spend the extra dough to get what they didn't know they wanted until I have been able to teach them about the details that go into a solid, long lasting tile installation.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Reply to Tiler Vs Builder in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

R
Hi guys, im Rob and i need tilers for future work i have coming up, if you could email me your...
Replies
Views
I
M
Hi all, I am going to a play tomorrow night an it is about 4 tilers. Did anyone on the forum...
Replies
Views
M
Just been out to a job to price up a new bathroom installation. The lady who's just moved in...
Replies
Views
Marksmithtiling
M
Joe got in touch via this site after I posted about a Victorian style path in April. My search...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
Hi we are a Somerset based tiling company and need extra help on the Olympic village at...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiler Vs Builder
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.