Discuss Tiles coming up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dhsanta65

A tiler friend of mine has just laid 60m2 of 300x600 porcelain on a very stable chipboard floor overboarded with 12mm ply. He grouted some of the floor then went back the other day to finish grouting only to find that some of the grout craking on previous grouted areas, so he tried to pop a tile wich came away clean and had not bonded to ply.
The overboarding was do a month prior to tiling and has now found out from the customer that she had been washing the ply with soapy detergent, ply had been bonded with a SBR primer (this was after she had washed floor) but could the detergent be the cause of the adhesive not bonding to ply??

H

hillhead

Hello Ian,
I would say the detergent has added the moisture without a doubt.
Then the SBR has sealed it in.
Plywood is mainly from china now and it's not good for tiling( fact).
Backer boards would have been the safer option.
It will all have to come up IMO and replace with hardie backer or similar, the moisture destroys it when penetrated.
I'm on a job here and have marble windowboards to cut and shape and the clown joiner raised the levels for me, when he was gone I looked and he has damp ply on there, I'm going to stick and screw ditra on top for safety.

Reply to Tiles coming up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just after a bit of advice please. I had my kitchen floor tiled last week (porcelain...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiles coming up
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.