Discuss Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

The issue you have here is the tiles!
Ceramic tiles are not suitable for this floor construction and your tiler should have made you aware of that!
As per @Tom Astley if they are indeed BCT (as I assumed ) then it’s just another case of materials being not fit for purpose.
A porcelain tile may have given you a better job but only a time served professional would understand the substrate preparation suitability.
There is a thread on here regarding BCT tiles do add your comments.

you say that the floor is 40m2, that's a big room, is it 4mx10m, 5mx8m?
7"x2"joists seem a bit light for that size of room unless there is support walls, in the correct places, the quality of the tile shouldn't come into it, or the use of chipboard, i take it the tiles aren't boast? in my experience the better quality the tile the more brittle the tile, the main problem is movement, the fact that it still cracked even with ditra is surprising, there must be too much movement,
fill a glass of water, set it on the floor where there is the most movement and bounce on the floor, if if there is any more than mild ripples the floor isn't supported enough

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB