Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DAK

I think I posted this in the wrong forum so here goes again...

We have had a single story extension done to our house which has left a 40M2 kitchen area which we have tiled. The problem is that the tiles (10mm thick from B&Q) and grout have cracked in line with the wooden joists which are under the floor.

In terms of the build my understanding is the following:

- Wooden joists are in place under the floor with some noggins and two areas where it is bricked to re-inforce. There is concrete underneath the joists.

- On top of the joists are insulation and then underfloor heating has been laid on top of this

- Chipboard engineering grade tongue and groove chipboard has then been put down to board out and has been screwed in (this and all of the above was the responsibility of the builder)

- The tiler has then laid and (I think) used adhesive to stick down a Ditra mat then laid the tiles on top using flexible adhesive and fully buttering the tiles.

The tiles and grout have cracked in parallel over where the joists appear to be - we now have a situation whereby the structural engineer has looked and said he doesn't think it is down to deflection from floor as the tiles are cracked along the line of the joists rather than horizontally across the tile (see pictures attached). so we are re-laying some tiles and re-testing if there was some settling movement. Personally I think the floor is a little 'bouncy' but given the structural engineer has said he doesn't think it is down to the building work the builder thinks he has delivered.

Would a layer of plywood or cement board on top of the chipboard have helped here?

Other suggestions welcome and appreciated and apologies for the long post !

Cracked Tile 1.jpg Cracked tile 2.jpg

you say that the floor is 40m2, that's a big room, is it 4mx10m, 5mx8m?
7"x2"joists seem a bit light for that size of room unless there is support walls, in the correct places, the quality of the tile shouldn't come into it, or the use of chipboard, i take it the tiles aren't boast? in my experience the better quality the tile the more brittle the tile, the main problem is movement, the fact that it still cracked even with ditra is surprising, there must be too much movement,
fill a glass of water, set it on the floor where there is the most movement and bounce on the floor, if if there is any more than mild ripples the floor isn't supported enough

Reply to Tiles Cracked in New Extension - Help Please ! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement