Discuss Tiles different to sample in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

choffer74

Hi,

I need a bit of advice - we've just received delivery of some wall tiles. When we opened the box we found the tiles are slightly different to the sample we'd ordered. Now heres the difficult part and i dont know where we stand - the sample was from Icon Tiles, the main order was from a TileExperience (due to them being 1/3 cheaper!).
They are supposed to be the same tiles - efeso grigio. Hopefully you'll be able to access these photos:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26603900/P1000023.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26603900/P1000024.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26603900/P1000025.JPG

Should i phone the company to see why they're different? should i send them back and order from Icon Tiles?

thanks in advance
G

C

Colour Republic

To be fair Tile Experiance may not have done anything wrong. You ordered a tile and you got it. Icon tiles may have sent the wrong sample??

You should expect tiles to have a slight variation from the sample to supplied product as it will be from a different batch. That said regardless of the difference in pattern and colour the tile appears to have a different finish as Dave says, one looks smooth and the other riven.

But before you have a go at Tile Experiance keep in mind it may not be their fault as you didn't ask for a sample from them. ;)

C

choffer74

shame as we really like the sample. From your experience if i did order from the original company where i got the sample from, would it be the same? or are you totally down to which batch you are sent.

and 1 more question,are tile companies good at price matching or giving a discount? the tiles are £30m2 from icon tiles but available at £22 at a couple of other websites.

once again thanks for all your help. How did DIYers like myself manage before the days of forums like this!!

C

Colour Republic

If somebody sent you a sample it is normally for there to be a slight variation. But say it was Icon who sent you the sample then sent you tiles like the ones received from TE then you could send them back as they are very different.

You can always ask the question if they would price match, some will some won't. Different compaines have different levels of service and of course overheads so Icon Tiles may need to sell at the higher price to cover their costs. Just ask. I wouldn't mention that you got a sample from them and then purchased from someone else as I think in that case they are much less likely to want to price match.

Another thing to keep in mind is Icon tiles may have a stack of old samples of that tile and in the mean time the manufacturer has changed the design slightly. Buying tiles online can be a smooth process but now and again it throws up problems like this so you just have make sure of what you're doing.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles different to sample in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
M
Helloall further to my post a few days ago regarding black starlight quartz tiles, i am about...
Replies
Views
Colour Republic
C
B
new tiles laid down - still after 2 months brownish colour coming off on trousers of baby...
Replies
Views
bousoulas
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiles different to sample
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.