UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiles falling off tanking - why!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gixerguy

Hi again - I have yet another problem I'm hoping you can solve for me!

I've applied Homelux membrane tanking to the two walls of my corner shower. It's on the right way ie correct side to the wall. The walls are brick & plaster (finish coat) and I used Granfix CFTA powder addy. It seems to have stuck like @@@ to a blanket lol

However, two days later I applied a few tiles (ceramic 20x10 8mm) using the same addy. Where the tiles are on the wall they're fine but after 24hrs the tiles on the tanking will fall off with a little nudge and the addy is wet still - you can literally wipe it off. The room is suitably warm and dry.

Homelux say that Im doing it all right and that Granfix is fine for this use.

I don't understand whats gone wrong!

As always I really appreciate your help and advice,
Many thanks guys!

Darren

J

jay

okay read data sheet and it seems to take 24 hours to set normally on porous surfaces tile and substrate so if you have tile and membrane it may struggle as this type of adh dries by absorption of moisture by tile and substrate there for it will stick to tile but might not to membrane unless left for a long time 48 hours plus doesn't mention membranes in data sheet at all/////////:8:

self setting adh set without the need of porous substrate or tile

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gixerguy

Thanks for your replies - heres an update lol
After many calls between Homelux & Granfix I'm being told it is quite likely that the addy I used isnt suitable for this tanking.
Homelux had originally said it qould be fine when I was researching the project but in light of my difficulties have looked deeper and suspect that it differs slightly from BAL SPF which is the preferred addy.
The tanking has also not bonded but come off clean leaving ALL the addy wet on the wall.
Homelux have been BRILLIANT and not only given advice throughout but are replacing my tanking & joint tape FREE OF CHARGE by next day delivery (tomorrow) and I even have a Homelux Tech Advisors personal number to update in the morning as to whether the SPF test works.
So although I'm just a joe public they're looking after me very well!!!!!!!
It does seem that as good as the Granfix addy is something upsets it when used in these circumstances. As promised i will update tomorrow so we can all learn from this lol
Thanks again all
Darren

G

Gixerguy

Morning all!

It's been one step forwards and half back im afraid.......

The SPF test tiles had partly bonded to the membrane - on removal some matting was attached to the tiles but there was still a considerable area yet to bond. To be fair it's approx 18-20 hrs since app so that seems within my amateur expectations ...... HOWEVER......

The test tile on the wall (primed with 2 neat coats of Granfix acrylic primer as per MI) came off with modest effort with equal spread of addy tile to wall but no sign of bonding?????

During the removal of the tanking I found NO addy on the tanking - it was ALL on the wall and still wet in most areas. I have scraped it all off with spray water to soften harder areas. It came off with no damage to the finish coat plaster. While using the water I noticed the wall absorb the water readily - as if no primer was there. Yet when i spray onto a primed wall else where the water runs down the wall as if with so little absorbed that it just leaves 'egg shell' discolouration - is this normal or have i (on Granfixs' advice) overdone the primer and sealed the wall thus preventing the addy disposing of its water whilst bonding?

Im learning all the time so if I have some odd ideas forgive me lol lol

Thanks again!

Darren

G

Gixerguy

Thanks Clive, its just tap water Im using so it's clean (well...... Lol )

Could someone advise me as to whether I should prime the walls before applying the tanking? Im using BAL SPF and Homelux membrane on finish coated plaster over brick to save you reading my stories again lol

I have spent the day sanding off the Granfix adh and primer that failed so I've got fairly fresh walls again and now need a few beers lol

Cheers all!

Reply to Tiles falling off tanking - why!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.