Discuss Tiles may crack? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blueman

Can anyone help

A few questions I want to ask my builder, before we the tiles are laid

So far the builder has laid a underfloor heating system, water based, on kingspan, between a timber frame (on a solid concrete floor) - 50mm screed on top, then chipboard - I have been told by a few tilers that this could lead to the tiles cracking (due to the heat crumbling the screed and chipboard curling) - is this true? Also you should also use only plywood to lay the tiles on.

The reason why a 50mm screed was used and also the timber on the solid floor was due to the lack of height left (not enough room for 100mm kingspan 75mm of screed) - create a timber floor effect.

Would appreciate any help

B

blueman

Thanks for your rapid replies.

I have a link to a diagram if I can add the URL?

The chipboard is 18mm

Screed 50mm

Water based underfloor heating on Kingspan, the underfloor heating pipes run through the wooden frame (slots have been cut, wooden frame glued to the concrete floor, 18mm chipboard screwed onto the wooden frame, 50mm screed has been added on top of the kingspan/pipes). I think the kingspan is 30-40mm.

This all rests on a solid concrete floor, ground level kitchen area.

Is 50mm enough screed? Can you lay tiles on chipboard? Can we use the underfloor heating and not crack the tiles?

Basically the builders added too much concrete when fixing the solid floor base. They didn't leave enough room for the underfloor heating, screed (75mm), insulation (100mm), board (22mm)

[h=3]
[/h]

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
This quite a common method . The heat will only crumble the screed if the screed is rubbish. Given what you have done though this is not important as the screed is not being us d as a screed but as a heat medium. Chip board though is a bit of a no no. Either remove it and replace it with ply or overboard it with backer boards. I am assuming there is enough timber frame under the chip board to support it and prevent deflection otherwise I'd say start again

B

blueman

Thanks for your rapid replies. To clarify:

The chipboard is 18mm

Screed 50mm

Water based underfloor heating on Kingspan, the underfloor heating pipes run through the timber frame (slots have been cut, timber frame glued to the concrete floor, 18mm chipboard screwed onto the timber frame, 50mm screed has been added on top of the kingspan/pipes).

The kingspan is 40mm.

This all rests on a solid concrete floor, ground level kitchen area.

Is 50mm enough screed?

Can you lay tiles on chipboard?

Can we use the underfloor heating and not crack the tiles?

Basically the builders added too much concrete when fixing the solid floor base. They didn't leave enough room for the underfloor heating, screed (75mm), insulation (100mm), board (22mm).

Thanks again for your replies.

R

Rich

Im not sure if I understand the make up of your floor. Whatever it is, chipboard is not suitable to tile onto under any circumstances. As has been said above, it will either need to be replaced with suitable ply and then over boarded or over boarded with a cement board. If you replace the chipboard or just over board it, the boards must be fixed down securely, any deflection in the floor will cause problems.

Is the builder doing the tiling? If so may I ask why?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The floor makeup is straight forward. Two modifications I would make though. 1 drill, plug and screw the timber battens down. If not and the glue suffers in the future you could find it warps bringing the tiles up with it which will cause problems. 2either ditch the chip board altogether in favour of ply or over board it with hardibacker or the like. 50mm screed would be incorrect if you were using it as a screed to tle onto but you are not. It is simply acting as a heat medium. In this instance the less mass yo have the faster your heating will respond and the mr efficient I will be. Am not sure there is a specific name for this floor makeup as it s neither floating nor bonded. Either way it is very common. Usually at first floor level. It is what I have in my lof conversion but I onl put 25mm screed in.

B

blueman

Thanks again for your replies.

I have spoken with the builders today and they suggest to overboard the chipboard with 6mm ply. If we go in this direction do you think we'll be able to use the underfloor heating?

Will the chipboard curl due to the heating and push the ply up?

Another option is to remove the chipboard (which is a tad tricky due to pipe work etc) and replace with 18mm or 22mm ply - again if we do this can we use the underfloor heating? Will this be a safe option?

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
I don't know whether the builder should be tiling this floor, every week on here there is another thread about problems with floor tiles laid by builders.

Make sure when they use Hardiebacker they lay it on flexible powderd tile adhesive as well as screws. Nobody would tile on 6mm plywood unless they wanted cracked tiles.

Regarding the underfloor heating and cracking tiles I don't think anyone here can give a cast iron yes or no answer without seeing it in person, maybe pics will help.

It all depends on how well everythings put together.....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles may crack? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiles may crack?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.