Discuss tiles on top of tiles... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

I'm not sure what your trying to do here mrT, you want to tile on top of tiles. Ok, let's assume you have checked suitability and its ok, what to is, wash the face of the original tiles with sugar soap, then score the tiles using anything really that will score them, grinder with cupped wheel, fein, or a brick. Once at this stage, prime then tile. Note: things to consider: weight, are walls flat, what tile your installing, have you checked current tiles are solid.

for the time it will take you prep the existing tiles and tile, you will be better off and quicker to strip them out matey.

you also have to bear in mind that the existing tiles may cause a issue further down the line... come back on OLD gear or substandard adhesion...

for peace of mind I always strip back to original substrate to also get a proper gauge of the actual original substrate

You will need to learn, when it comes to prep and how the job is done, all decisions are down to the tiler. Only input I want from customer is, portrait or landscape, grout colour, metal or plastic!

Charlie's got it down to a T:thumbsup:

M

mattle40

The customer (friends mom)... Doesnt want the old tiles removed.. It is a plaster board wall behind the tiles but the tiles seem solid.im not too confident I would be able to re-prep the plasterboards correctly Im just thinking about leaving this one as im not experienced enough

I'd say there's your answer right there. If you're doubting your own ability to provide the adequate prep work then say no and be happy you did the right thing, but don't be discouraged, it will come ;-)

T

Time's Ran Out

Is this a bathroom? if so you should hardi board it.

its down to you buddy, but you should be telling her what needs to be done. YOUR the professional, Your the tradesman.

He's not though that's why he is asking.
Its always best to take old tiles off and only you can assess how well fixed they are! The weight issue you have with plasterboard is the fact that skimmed boards are only meant to take 21kg of weight and so the size of the tiles that are at present fixed and the size of your new tiles is a very important factor. If you can satisfy yourself then the walls must be clean and dry to receive new tiles.
Even though this job can provide you with valuable experience only consider it if you are happy with the preparation needed.

M

Mr T

Yes sm I am charging but its pennies mate honestly only so I get a drink once the hard works done lol...saltire if I take it il do all the work that needs doing I know exactly what needs to be done to do the job propperly its just I dont have the confidense I would cut the boards to a nice fit and tbh thats all im worried about... Charlie yes mate done a week with him was hoping for more experience with him but I landed some paid work with a builder so had to take it. Hes sound matey

Reply to tiles on top of tiles... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB