UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiles on uneven floor boards and concrete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

H Lucas

Hi all - great forum but my brain is aching - can you help. I have had 2 tilers to quote laying tiles on my kitchen, toilet and pantry which is a mixture of floorboards and concrete. There is marmoleum down currently which is lifting and cracking all over the place. I'm told the floor is very uneven so suspect the prep was not good last time. One tiler has suggested he'll take up the marmoleum and put down Schluter Ditra, the other fibre flass latex levelling compound - I'm assuming this is going over whatever is underneath the marmoleum currently. I'm planning on putting down porcelain tiles - I think - as they are the toughest as this is also the way to the garden and garage. Which tiler should I go for do you think? Thanks!

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
based on that i wouldnt take either tilers route

the floorboards will need overboarded 1st imo with something suitable...maybe a 6mm cement sheet and the concrete raised to meet that new height

a membrane could be fitted at that point then tiled

does the tiler want to just slc right over the concrete and floorboards in one go and thats it?

and does the other tiler want to stick ditra to both substrates as it is also?

H

H Lucas

Thanks for the prompt comments - have to admit the marmoleum has been down for 12 years and I really don't know what is under it and what state it is in. The ditra guy gave me the impression he was just going to put ditra over whatever is down currently and do no other prep. The other guy spent a lot of time with a spirit level and seemed more interested in getting it level - I just wondered how useful ditra is as he didn't mention using it. I'm going to call him back for more prep information. Also wondered if you thought porcelain tiles were overkill - I don't really want to have to do this floor again!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles on uneven floor boards and concrete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.