Discuss TileSafe in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

Is it time for TileSafe.

In this climate of recession, shouldn’t we be making it harder (if not impossible) for the cowboys, plumbers, joiners and any Tom, Dick n Harry that think they can tile and get away with making a mockery of our trade.........

What I propose is “TileSafe” An industry standard, government backed exam and register (much the same as gas fitters have) Where the customer can find or recognise a registered tiler in their area. This would also make it illegal to carry out any form of tiling works and charge for it, without being registered.

I’m not talking about the TTF, Trading Standards of any other trade association, that doesn’t have the powers or the backbone to really stand up for their members or the paying public, unless it’s for self promotion or gain!

I’m talking about an organisation, that has the full backing of it’s members and the government. An organisation that can act swiftly, decisively and with power..... against the charlatans that are driving our industry and prices into the gutter.

Though we would have to pay for TileSafe at around £1500.00 to £2000.00 every three years (same as gas and would be tax deductible) for a 3 - 5 day exam, with theory and practical elements. It would give the tradesperson an industry standard certificate and license to trade as a tiler. It would also give the customer peace of mind and a facility to check if their tiler is registered and up to date with their license.

All tilers that have their license, but produce poor workmanship, that doesn’t meet the industry standard and generates complaints from their paying customers, shall loose their license to trade and possibly be fined, if an inspection by TileSafe upholds the the complaints. Said tiler shall then have to re-apply for their license , after a set period and at their own expense.

I believe this could be the way forward for our trade. The costs involved are a necessity to run such an organisation and make it much harder for cowboys to try their hand. It could also include some form of insurance for the tiler and the customer, and set a minimum standard for workmanship and rates.

It’s was just a thought while I had my first Jack n ice.......

Cheers. Jack n Ice.jpg

A

Aston

anything that regulates and improves the industry gets a big thumbs up from me BUT.....where ever theirs poverty, then theres a black market and thats where the problems happen.....theres a lot of skint people out there and if joe bloggs says i can do what you want for the this price, then people who are having money problems will pay if it fits their budget.......they wont be too interested if that tiler is accredited or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

I think its a fantastic idea

but I dont think it will police the trade as there will always be those that will look for unregistered tilers too undercut the licenced tilers and plenty of people willing to do it for them

when the cscs system was introduced by the citb it was meant to be a licencing system for tradesmen, problem was there wasnt enough quailified tradesmen to meet demand so they turned it into a H&S scheme

S

Stewart

anything that regulates and improves the industry gets a big thumbs up from me BUT.....where ever theirs poverty, then theres a black market and thats where the problems happen.....theres a lot of skint people out there and if joe bloggs says i can do what you want for the this price, then people who are having money problems will pay if it fits their budget.......they wont be too interested if that tiler is accredited or not.

While I agree with what your saying, people in poverty don't get any works done...... The customers I work for that don't have a lot of money tend to save up to get their work done and want even more reassurance that they're not gonna get ripped off. It never going to stop back door tradesmen, but it could give a license holder more credibility and the customer more peace of mind.

It would be just another scheme for people to bypass and even if you have it, doesn't mean your going to do the job as should be, I know plumbers ( registered, corgi or whatever it is now ) that will do the job, on paper, in reality it's another unregistered 'mate' that has hooked up ALL the connections and the customers are happy to save a few quid, as has been said, price ( unfortunately ) in this present climate speaks loud to many.

Reply to TileSafe in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys My name is Andy Bowden, I work for Porcelanosa and I look after the trade in the North...
Replies
Views
A
Hello All, I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
S
Over the last few years i have seen some shocking tile work, some carried out by tilers, and...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
TileSafe
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.