Discuss Tiling a bathroom ceiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

chubbywayne44

Hi this is my first post and i was hoping someone out there could help with advice.
i am considering tiling my bathroom ceiling which is only 4 square meter. i am a joiner by trade so the problem doesnt lie there.
what i need advice on is
has any body done this before did you use plywood, plaster board,???
what adhesive what grout
what were your results.
Basically can it be done so they dont fall off:yikes:.
if so please could you give advice to a struggling chippie:thumbsup:
thank you all
wayne

C

chubbywayne44

why not just use the plastic clading batoned to the cieling I did mine and it looks good and is easy enough to do, I used plain white but I think it comes in many colours and even marble look just a thought.

I know what you mean ive done that before on other jobs i like it
but the wife would like it tiled.
so one must be seen to try you know what i mean
cheers

T

tfs

The way you mention is not one I have come across before mate. Mechanicaly fixing is normally associated with larger, thicker tiles and is done with special clips.

I wouldnt use ply on the ceiling either mate it will be to unstable. The ceiling in my opinion will more than likely have more deflection than I would be happy with at this time. Some modern properties have only 2x4 joists on the ceiling which realy isnt ideal if it is ever walked on as this bend etc with any load. This is why I would fix new frame below existing ceiling. If you didnt want to build new ceiling, you could perhaps fix braces from existing ceiling to the common rafters this would help eliminate the chances of deflection in existing ceiling. (dont know what a structural engineer would think of that though)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

yes tiling a ceiling is possible.

1. simply treat the ceiling as if it were a floor but use mechanical fixings on the tiles!!
2. ensure the ceiling joists are free from deflection..this can be a bit of a task / headache because the ceiling joists into the ceiling space are not as thick compared to your 1st floor joists! the problem will arise more when your plodding around in the loft! if you have a loft conversion then this will have a supended floor which will help.
3. add extra strength by using 25mm wbp ply to the ceiling. again, ply adds strength, backerboards have different properties.
4. overlay with a suitable backer board for a stable surface.
5. use a flexable adhesive combined with mechanical fixings
6 as jay with exoxy grout
7 . good extractor fan!! and plenty of ventilation when possible

C

chubbywayne44

1. simply treat the ceiling as if it were a floor but use mechanical fixings on the tiles!!
2. ensure the ceiling joists are free from deflection..this can be a bit of a task / headache because the ceiling joists into the ceiling space are not as thick compared to your 1st floor joists! the problem will arise more when your plodding around in the loft! if you have a loft conversion then this will have a supended floor which will help.
3. add extra strength by using 25mm wbp ply to the ceiling. again, ply adds strength, backerboards have different properties.

i should have said i am putting in a false ceiling using 4 x 2 the area is only 4 sq mt aprox 6' x 6' so to elimanate any vibration i wont put any hangers in

T

tfs

How would you go about mechanicaly fixing those tiles mate?

A

Aston

at that thickness it would have to be a epoxy/resin to the rear of the tiles to adhere the fixing as chubbywayne suggested. upgrading the adhesive to an epoxy based/ swimming pool adhesive would also be a reinforcment. (belt and braces)
the fact that there will be no deflecton or weight on the new suspended ceiling will be a big plus too.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cjones

would personally avoid at all costs but can be done....

ive done one of these before (well helped scottish greg from london tiling,tile genius might i add)..... the ceiling was plyed out ready for us and we attached big sand stone tiles to the ceiling using plenty of ardex adhesive. And drilled into the tile and mechanically fixed brackets on them using a 2 part liquid metal solution.

End result a lovely ceiling but i wouldnt wanna have a shower in there with literally tonnes of stone above your head.....

i might add that this method is painfully slow and a 2 man job.

Good luck

S

Scott the tiler

Put this on one side of bedroom wall Bed wall.jpg

And this in the lounge DSCF0205 web paged 2.JPG

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a bathroom ceiling in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, please looking for some advice, so we had a horrible tiler leave a tiny gap between the...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I had a very unprofessional tiler who did a lot of errors and left my bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB