Discuss Tiling a bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GaryM

I'm currently refurbing my bathroom and am coming up to the point where I need to concentrate on the floor.

The floor area is quite small at around 2M x 1.2M (bath area not included) so I purchased a sheet of 18mm spruce plywood to replace the existing floorboards which have seen better days. I'm told that spruce plywood isn't a good option and that I should have opted for WBP plywood.
I've also got 4 sheets of 6mm no more ply cement boards which I intended to use over the 18mm ply. I was also going to seal the underside and sides of the ply prior to fitting.

Tiles are 300x300 ceramic and the adhesive that was chosen for me from my local tile shop is Tilemaster Setaflex - flexible rapid set floor tile adhesive

Can you see any potential problems with this arrangement or should I delay things and source a sheet of 18mm WBP ply?

BTW - I'm an electrician and this is only my second tiling job with the first (en-suite) turning out pretty good if I do say so myself! :hurray:

D

DHTiling

Soz gary.. should have explained more..

The ply you have bought won't really like getting excessively wet but by over boarding with the NMP it will help prevent this... I suggested the SBR as this helps prevent water soaking in at the edges ...

Most good tile shops will sell a brand of SBR.. if not you can get it here>> Tradetiler Tilers Silicone and tools on plywood apply neat for best results.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GaryM

don't forget to tape the joints of your NMP either Gary:thumbsup:

I wasn't aware of that?

Last time I used it I just followed the instructions on their website though there's no mention of taping joints.
It was simply and inner and larger square of their adhesive on the underside and another line of adhesive on even joint. Screw down with their screws though I opted to use much more than they advise (8 per sheet).

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB