Discuss Tiling a false wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I am about to replace a bathroom. The bath has the soil pipe running alongside it so currently it is six inches away from the wall with a small shelf next to it. This is useful in its way but I want to add a shower over the bath and suspect that it will get covered in water. The plan therefore is to build the wall out to cover the pipe before installing the new bath. But, a couple of questions:

1 - What is the right material for the wall? I am thinking probably moisture resistant plasterboard. Is this correct?

2 - Should I waterproof further around the shower area? It will be a mains powered shower from a combination boiler, not a pumped power shower?

3 - If I do need to fully waterproof the wall first and if I am using glazed tiles on top how does the adhesive dry?

The tiles have not been chosen yet but since cost is a prime consideration they are not going to be anything fancy and are unlikely to be excessively big.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andrew

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
If you want to keep the shelf there is no reason why you can't. Just replace it with a suitable material such as hardiebacker cement board or Aquapanel. If you do build the wall out you've got a few options. Plasterboard or a cement board, these will need tanking in the areas expected to get wet. Or an aqua type panel which does not need tanking.

The tanking wont affect the drying of the adhesive, but don't be tempted to go for the ready mixed stuff. A bagged flexible cement based adhesive would be my choice, like most on the forum.

R

Rich

All good advice above.

A cement board would be my first choice also (if money was no object I would do the entire room with it) but you may find that it is cheaper to used plasterboard and then tank over the top of it, this will be suitable for what you need. Is there a Tile Giant near by? The will stock the Mapei tanking kit, would recommend having a word with them to see the price difference :thumbsup:

With regards to how much to tank/use cement boards, you are much better playing it safe and using it everywhere that you expect to get covered in water.

Reply to Tiling a false wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am looking for advice about half tiling an external corner which meets a full tiled shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Cambridge

Thread Information

Title
Tiling a false wall
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks