Discuss Tiling a plastered bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

johncorleone

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I've been going around in circles for months!

We recently had the existing tiles from an en-suite removed and the walls re-boarded in parts and re-plastered completely. Unfortunately that appears to have been our first mistake (when we thought we were making progress) :( We really wanted travertine or limestone for the walls but through searching sites like this have found this will not be possible due to the weight and the plastered walls. However, when we asked our tiler about this he said it would be fine, and he'd be happy to put them up ?! (These were 12 mm tiles). I'm assuming from reading here that he is incorrect ?

Since we wrote those off and went looking again, we've since found some nice porcelain tiles which are 8mm but weigh in at 22Kg per sq. m. Do you think these would be ok to use on the plastered walls ? (I know they're more than 20Kg but is there any lee-way in this at all ?) If not, are all we can use on the plastered walls, ceramic tiles? We have looked at a ton of tile shops and not found a single ceramic tile which we've liked so I'm really hoping not :/

Any help or advice would be really appreciated as I'm being told one thing by our tiler and something completely different by forums like this and at this stage I've no idea what to do next :(

P.S. There will be a shower enclosure in the bathroom with 3 walls (which will be tiled, eventually we hope!). Can this tiling be done directly onto the plastered wall or do we need some kind of water-proof boarding ?

Cheers,

John

B

bigandy

Ok this how i beleive the land lies.

Yes technically the tiles are to heavy, going off what we are told are the safe working weights, and if i was quoting you i would certainly tell you so.as it would invalidate my insurance.

However i have in the past fitted tiles in this situation but have stippulated no guarantee about the plaster and tile coming off.that is to cover my bum.

Re shower get it tanked so your out lay is not ruined.

Hope you can see what i am saying

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

The weight limits stipulated by BS and various other sources are given for a reason. If you have plastered walls and want to put up 22kg/m2 of porcelain tiles, you then need to add the additional weight of adhesive and grout to your calculation. This will end up somewhere in the region of 25 -26kg/m2. Not safe in my opinion.

If you are really set on having limestone or trav. then the only real way is to get rid of the plaster and put up a more appropriate substrate such as backerboard, mechanically fixed. This would easily take the weight of your chosen tiles. If you are staying with the plaster, then something much less substantial is the only real option, sorry.

G

GazTech

The weight limits stipulated by BS and various other sources are given for a reason. If you have plastered walls and want to put up 22kg/m2 of porcelain tiles, you then need to add the additional weight of adhesive and grout to your calculation. This will end up somewhere in the region of 25 -26kg/m2. Not safe in my opinion.

If you are really set on having limestone or trav. then the only real way is to get rid of the plaster and put up a more appropriate substrate such as backerboard, mechanically fixed. This would easily take the weight of your chosen tiles. If you are staying with the plaster, then something much less substantial is the only real option, sorry.
Sorry John, I am in total agreement on this one. If you remove the skim you are within limits for your porcelain. I have done this before with a steam stripper, but be careful not to destroy the integrity of the board under it......Gaz

J

johncorleone

Sorry John, I am in total agreement on this one. If you remove the skim you are within limits for your porcelain. I have done this before with a steam stripper, but be careful not to destroy the integrity of the board under it......Gaz

Ok, thanks a lot for your help. Do you have any opinion on whether the "paramount" walls will have an affect on tile weights which can be supported ?

I've tried to find some information on the web regarding this type of construction of walls but it' been very hard to find anything useful.

Cheers,

John

G

GazTech

Ok, thanks a lot for your help. Do you have any opinion on whether the "paramount" walls will have an affect on tile weights which can be supported ?

I've tried to find some information on the web regarding this type of construction of walls but it' been very hard to find anything useful.

Cheers,

John
paramount carry the same weight as plasterboard and aren't skimmed are they...therefore 32kg per m2, less adhesive and grout.....Gaz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a plastered bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB