Discuss tiling a wooden finish stlye house in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ross9807

hey,

I got a job tiling a new wooden house. 2 bathrooms and a hallway area.

Is there anything specail i need to do or use????

the hallway area is 15m2 and has been boarded over the joists with 15mm chip board twice. Its seem sturdy enough,

Do i need to board it again? if so what with? how thick?

If not i was just going to tile over it with flexible adhesive.

any advice will be very very welcomed :)

thanks

T

tfs

To be perfectly honest with you, I dont know how suitable these types of buildings are for tiling but I have in the past reccomended alternative flooring to be considered when I spoke to someone a year or two back who had a similar project here in the UK. But then again it is common to tile floors in timber kit houses/ extentions in the UK so perhaps log cabbins are just as suited to tiling as timber kits.

The best you can do is perform all tasks that will help eliminate chances of the installation failing which in my oprion would be a decoupling mat (providing there is minimal deflection) and good quality adhesive as well as ensuring that you use the appropriate fixing methods.

You could alway double check with your adhesive manufacturer to see what there take is on this.

good luck with the job mate

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

Deflection is vertical movement in the floor e.g. when you walk over the floor does it sag or bounce at all? Timber floor needs to be very rigid to take tiles as they will not tolerate any vertical movement in the floor and can break or delaminate from the substrate.

The decoupling mat will uncouple the tile from the actual timber substrate and will also bridge over any joints in the floor eliminating the chances of hairline cracks appearing over the joins. It will also give you waterproofing in areas of moisture and wet areas like the bathrooms you intend to tile.

Again, your floor will need to be solid and rigid before tiling commences.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to tiling a wooden finish stlye house in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
tiling a wooden finish stlye house
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.