Discuss Tiling a worksurface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Buzzard

I'm shortly going to start tiling a worksurface with a sink in a utility room (ie not a kitchen - it contains a washing machine and will be used for storage and filling buckets, etc).

Here's where I am at present:

feb1st.jpg

There will eventually be a good 2cm thick wood surround to face (conceal) all the front edges and provide extra support: parts of it are already loosely (and crookedly) in place on the right side and below.

The worksurfaces to be tiled are chipboard. It's the green "exterior" stuff, described here in France as "waterproof" but I rather doubt that it is genuinely waterproof. As a result I'm planning to paint the undersurfaces (in fact, I've just started) with a reasonably waterproof paint, particularly those surfaces round the washing machine. I'll also be painting all the non-tiled areas.

My question is whether I should or shouldn't paint the surface I'll be tiling onto. I've seen discussions about cleaning emulsion of walls that are to be tiled, but I wondered if with a horizontal surface getting it a bit more watertight was worth any loss of adhesion of the cement.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

B

Buzzard

Re: Tiling a worksurface - more help please!

I have taken the advice I've been given and I have boarded out the worksurface. I used Wedi board as I couldn't get Hardiebacker, but I think this is suitable. It's now glued in place and ready for tiling. Annoyingly the careful measurements that were supposed to mean that I wouldn't have to cut too many tiles, are all wrong now with the extra thickness of the board on the vertical bits. Can't have everythibng I suppose!

I'm collecting the tiles and the epoxy grout tomorrow.

The epoxy grout is "Starlike", an Italian product I gather, and what I'm concerned about is the short time between putting the grout on and cleaning the surface with the emulsifying pad. I understand this has to be done within 30 minutes?

Trouble is, as a confirmed amateur, and a pretty hamfisted one at that, in 30 minutes I can't put much grout into the joints (it's 10cm tiles so quite a few joints to be done). Presumably I shouldn't mix very much of the product at a time.

A few extra tips would be helpful. For example, after using the emulsifying pad, can I then just leave that area to wash down with a sponge later, and go on and do some more grouting, or does it have to be sponged straight after emulsifying?

If I could leave the sponging off until the whole area is finished (or a large part of it) I think I'd get on more easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling a worksurface in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
I wonder if any one can give me some advice. I live in a fairly new build house that was built 8...
Replies
Views
Hi all, really looking for advice here. Really want to spend some time improving the garden...
Replies
Views
J
Morning all, a few tips would be appreciated here please - I am just completing a few jobs for...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling a worksurface
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.