Discuss Tiling Apprentices in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I have had a couple of lads work with me recently just to see what they're like, work ethic, attitude etc, one seems quite keen and worked hard. My problem is it's a bit of a catch 22, if I take someone on, it'll slow me down due to me having to train them and the whole point of me taking someone on is because I'm in a position where I have too much work for me on my own! I could do with a day release college student who is getting classroom tuition as well as a couple of days a week with me.

S

Spud

I have had them in the past Gary, but I was always disappointed in the end. I do think this is the way to keep this trade alive though. As the quick fix route is not working.
I have started one Phil and may take another one on in 3 years time if this lad works out okay, I am not going to complain about poor tilers any more I am going to try and train up my own lads in future

P

Pebbs

Our apprentice started out fine, now it seems he has a magnet on his bum, whenever I turn up on site, I find him sitting on the fire escape texting. He's been warned about it before, I think I am going to snap this week, with him. Final straw was asking for an advance on his wages last week, he'd only just been paid.....you can guess what the answer was. He's not exactly a 'kid' either, whats wrong with people?

Lynn

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Good thread Gary.

I like to think tilers take on apprentices and would love to see it happen more often but I can totally understand the struggle to find one that isn't just going to hinder you and slow the jobs down while you get them up to speed with the basic stuff they can keep themselves busy with (cutting, mixing, moving the tiles and mixing the stacks for you etc).

A mate of mine who's a mechanic took on a good mate (not always wise but it's worked fine for both of them) and he found some decent tax benefits by putting him through an apprenticeship scheme and sending him college etc. Years later he's a spot on mechanic and he's on a decent wage now and more to the point he pays more than his wage in the jobs he does. So a good move on their part.

Different I guess when it comes to a construction trade though as it can be up and down work wise.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Apprentices in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB