Discuss Tiling around arcs and curves in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dave Ramsden

Im currently installing some terracotta and have some curved planters to run a border around.
Ive included a picture of the planters and some on how I have set one out. There is a smaller planter thats already tiled around.
Im still playing with the design, I just wondered if anyone had any advice of tips to speed the process up a bit??

Attachments

• Photo0126.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo0128.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo0123.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Photo0125.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo0129.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo0127.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo0124.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 78
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

That is how I would do it Dave, the wedge shaped pieces are called Voussoir, if you measure the Intrados ( inner circle) then measure the Extrados ( outer circle) divide inner and outer circles into equal measurements, eg. 10 Voussoir, 15 Voussoir, 20 Voussoir and so on.

This will determine the exact size of each Voussoir, just the same way you would set out an arch. You can use this method for a circle, semi-circle or anywhwere in between. Hope this makes sense, going back to my building college days, it does come in handy now and then.:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Dave, that all looks nice. If you are comfortable using trig and some basic algebra and geometry, there are some neat ways to figure out the arc lengths and radii for the curves. Then, with a flexible piece of metal that is cut to the length the required arc, you can spring the metal into position so that it will create the arc, which you can then trace on to the stones or tiles that need to be cut. I use these methods from time-to-time when fabricating wood trim that is curved.

S

Stewart

Hi Dave, that all looks nice. If you are comfortable using trig and some basic algebra and geometry, there are some neat ways to figure out the arc lengths and radii for the curves. Then, with a flexible piece of metal that is cut to the length the required arc, you can spring the metal into position so that it will create the arc, which you can then trace on to the stones or tiles that need to be cut. I use these methods from time-to-time when fabricating wood trim that is curved.

Trig, algebra and geometry........ And the call us "just tilers" the cheek of it....(;0)

D

Dave Ramsden

Thanks Rob! Using a flexible metal gauge of some sort would also be a good way. Im going to try Phils method first and as there are quite a few of these to do I may try this too :thumbsup:

J

jay

This is an old way but .if its a true radius ,mark it out in a blank area (the radius) lay a couple of tiles on the radius line then position a string or use a strait edge one end positioned at the centre of the semi circle .(i norm do this with a chalk line) take line out to leading edge of tile that should give you the angle required to make the header coarse
hope you understand not easy to explain

Reply to Tiling around arcs and curves in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi - we would very much appreciate some advice. In October 2020 we had a sole trader come in to...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling around arcs and curves
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.