UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling around pipes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

john306

Hi,
I'm 3/4 of the way into a total bathroom update, I've got to a corner with tiling that has a 10" x 10" plasterboard boxing around the main waste, the toilet and basin waste goes through this plasterboard into the main waste.

My problem is.....
Previously there were 200mm x 150mm tiles, the toilet and basin waste went through these where the tiles butted together so making it easy to cut half moons shapes into each tile to fit arounf the waste pipes perfectly.

My new tiles are 400mm x 300mm and the waste pipes will be going straight through the middle of the tile.

Question is how would you go about fitting the tiles?
Removal of the toilet itself, I'm trying to avoid, so any other options please?
I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow.
Thanks for any input.

J

john306

hi,do you have any hole cutters or a wet saw or grinder?

also are you cutting round the cistern etc?

Hi,
Yes I've got grinder which I've been using to cut L shapes into tiles.
I am going to remove toilet eventually but the toilet waste comes out at 90 deg, but basin waste comes out at 45 deg, so even if I do remove toilet I still cant slot the tile on as it wont go over the basin waste.

J

john306

You could split a tile centre of the pipe and use the 2 halfs and cut half moons that way, not a favorite but unless your prepared to remove sinks etc....
I have thought about splitting but thought it may look poor, but may be a valid option.

As said previously I'm removing everything eventually but the angles that the waste pipes exit the plasterboard boxing, makes it impossible to cut both holes in the tile then just fit it over

J

john306

2012-04-19 12.40.59.jpg
Tiles at back have yet to be removed and are 200x150, new tiles I'm using are 400x300 and fit from floor to above both waste pipes

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The 1 1/4" pipe at the top is push fit waste pipe. You can pull this off, make a note on a bit of paper where the centre of the whole is and re-cut this once the tile has stuck. You could really do the same at the bottom, but you would have to cut the pipe flush to the wall and supply and fit new 4" waste pipe to re-connect with the toilet. It's not difficult though. You would get a neat finish on both hole cuts though.

I oresume the end of the waste pipe (soil/WC) is straight with a 90 degree pan connector in? If so you can follow as above with the basin waste. But pre-cut the WC waste hole on the tile before fixing.
As your tiles are ceramic a cheap set of carbide holesaws would do the job. Off the top of my head that would set you back about £20.00 if you shop around online.

L

Lincoln-tiler

Why don't you centre the boxing if you can't remove the soil pipe and don't want to split a tile in half. That way a joint will run through both waste pipes and there will be no split tiles. Just a centred boxing. Personally I would split the tile if I couldn't use a hole saw but this is another option. I'm guessing the tiles already in place next to the boxing are being removed? I would do this before trying to tile anything and get all your prep work done before tiling anything fresh. If there not being removed I would suggest to the customer they should be as that's rough and you wouldn't want your name assioated with rough work. Good luck!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling around pipes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I wonder if you can advise me. I need 4 inch hole drilled through the wall to install new...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all. I am a keen DIYer (at home) but have never tiled! I want to tile our small...
Replies
Views
I would very much appreciate the advice of anyone who has fitted Marmox boards as I have decided...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.