Discuss tiling bathroom - setting out floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

helix

hi all,
First of many posts I think :) I'm just about to begin tiling my bathroom with ceramic tiles on wall and floor.

Wall will have rectangular tiles 45cm high, 31.6cm wide. Floor will have tiles 31.6cm square.The wall will be tiled in portrait. Grout will be 3mm.

Aim is to have the grout lines lining up from floor to wall, hence why I'm spending a fair bit of time trying to work out the best layout for the floor tiles.
I've created a plan of the floor and bathroom units, and overlaid a grid of tiles (see below). The walls marked red are where there will be wall tiles.

bathroom%20floor%20setting%20out%201.jpg

bath is in bottom right hand corner, shower enclosure is bottom left. There is a chimney breast, covered by a false wall on the left as well.

Would appreciate any comments as to what is wrong with my plan, or what could be improved on. I've tried to set out the tiles so that there is scope for a room that is not perfectly square!

Thanks,
Alex

H

helix

Thanks smurf :)

In general, what size would be considered a sliver? Is it best for example to try to avoid tiles cut to less than a third of the original size or is there a minimum size irrespective of the full tile size?

whitebeam, will definitely try to tile floor first, or at least ensure I know exactly how everything lines up. Due to the restrictions of having only one toilet in the house, I may have to tile behind and under the toilet before the plumber installs it, to get levels etc, and before tiling the rest of the room. Luckily the toilet is moving about 12 inches across so I can tile the new toilet location without having to remove the old toilet!

T

Time's Ran Out

Hi Helix,
On paper it looks fine .
The main wall is the window wall as you walk in the room that's what you see first! The other walls don't have to be so accurate as the wall and floor tiles don't meet up (bath and shower tray) apart from the end of the bath wall/.Check the actual size of the floor tile against the wall tile as the often tend to be slightly bigger than stated!:thumbsup:
John.

S

smurf21

It is sometimes inevitable that you may get small cuts but if possible try to maximise the bigger the better purely for the look but in all fairness as long as you can cut them and fix them well it doesent matter to much like i said its purely for the overall look that we try to keep cuts to a minimum and keep them in the most unobtrusive places..... good luck with it and post some pics when your done.:8:

and by the way whitbeam and timeless john its 1.45am aint you got beds to go too...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
H

helix

thanks all.
I'll concentrate first on the wall with the window then, although I hope all walls will line up as the square floor tiles should mean allow for that. Will definitely check the size of the floor tiles to make sure they match the wall tiles. I guess I can cover any minor differences in the grout width.
Will post pics if the result is ok :)
Next I need to look at the wall tiles and getting the height ok.
I'll probably post another visio layout soon!

D

doug boardley

I would in your case lay the the floor first so your wall lines are easier to follow
I agree with Whitebeam, tbh all I saw there was a mish mash of lines that told me either my dyslexia/autism was taking over, or, my sugar levels were high/low. Personally I prefer to go into a room and plan it myself, being a pro I sort of know what I'm on about:thumbsup:

H

helix

Helix.
What I was trying to say in my earlier reply was dont worry about losing the joint in the shower area at the expense of having small unsightly cuts on the walls.
As they don't meet up its not visibly noticeable in these areas.
If it does work out great!:thumbsup:
John.
Hi John
I'm being really thick and having trouble understanding your point. I can see however that the advice you are giving in terms of what actally works over and above the basic rules is crucial to getting a better result :) Would you mind re-explaining your point in simpler terms?
Many thanks.

T

Time's Ran Out

Good morning Helix.

As you walk in the room you want the wall tiles and the floor tiles on the window wall to line up (bonded).
At the end of the bath wall on the right side you want the wall tiles and floor tiles to line up (bonded).
However on the door wall and inside the shower area since the bath and shower tray break this line of tiles, you do not have to be so accurate with the bonding of the joints. So check inside the shower that you are not ending up with some small cuts to the corners etc as aesthetically this will not look too good.It would look better if you lost the bond slightly inside the shower if this was deemed necessary - it may not!
Vertically take into account the horizontal heights of the shower tray, bath, window, ceiling and floor - you do not want a small cut at these points.:thumbsup: Have fun!
John.

M

mags

Good morning Helix.

As you walk in the room you want the wall tiles and the floor tiles on the window wall to line up (bonded).
At the end of the bath wall on the right side you want the wall tiles and floor tiles to line up (bonded).
However on the door wall and inside the shower area since the bath and shower tray break this line of tiles, you do not have to be so accurate with the bonding of the joints. So check inside the shower that you are not ending up with some small cuts to the corners etc as aesthetically this will not look too good.It would look better if you lost the bond slightly inside the shower if this was deemed necessary - it may not!
Vertically take into account the horizontal heights of the shower tray, bath, window, ceiling and floor - you do not want a small cut at these points.:thumbsup: Have fun!
John.

Thats presuming the wall an floor tiles are the same size isnt it

H

helix

Helix
Its been 3 weeks - where are the pictures.
Is it finished!:thumbsup:
John.

typically things are going much slower than expected. Electrics are done. Plumber has pretty much finished. I have boxed in the bath and shower pipe work.
Need to install shower tray, fix hardibacker over floorboards, then finally I'll be ready to tile! Hopefully starting next weekend. :hurray:

Decided to go for the same rectangular tile on the floor as the wall. that way floor and wall layout will only need to be bonded on two walls rather than four. It was just too complicated trying to get everything lined up on all four walls, and with the window, bath, shower etc.

Promise to post pictures when finished (providing it looks ok) :smilewinkgrin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling bathroom - setting out floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB