Discuss tiling buisness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

russ1

TF
Hi everyone,just finished my 4 week course loved it,just got to start tiling,working my way to nvq2,got to get the cards out there.I phoned up one job from the internet he said i need experiance so go as a labourer after that i put the phone down,just hope i dont keep getting that, you cant win. As i was made redundant and working for myself is a big challange having a mortgage and family is my priorty.At the course they said you will earn more money commicial tiling than site work, but if you got to earn money you got to do it but as i said they want experiance ive bought myself a van got tools ready to rock, ive have handed my cards out to some letting agencies and builders i see working in houses, just hope i have not wasted my redundancy, any feed back would be appriciated.

C

charlie1

Hi Russ,

To start with, I would advise don't bite off more than you can chew! In your first year your really only ever 1 job away from complete disaster so know your limits and build your skills slowly. I've been tiling now for about 5 years and there are still so much I don't know, always be willing to learn every day and at the end of every job you should be thinking of how you could have achieved a better finish in all aspects of your work and in a quicker time by working more economical. No job is ever perfect, every job has some little flaws only an experienced tiler would ever see so believe me, you will never achieve perfection, try to learn to accept that!

As you said , you got the van and tools but no experience, sadly for you the thing you don't have is the hardest to get but with the right attitude you will get there!

Best of luck Russ!

surrey
Hi russ, 4 weeks is a good start , but its like everything in this game , experience is the key and you need to find a tiler thats willing to give you a start,
fast track tiling is a good idea in part just wish theses companies would tell punters the truth , in part it takes a few years to be able to do the work on your own and to be able to get over problems ,
I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully some on will give you a start

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Hello Russ, no ones going to let you do any major work until you have some experience,weather its domestic or site work.Labouring for a tiler is a good way to start.If you want to work on your own straight away youll have to start small,simple bathroom,kitchens,splash backs.( and even they are not always easy) Dont think about large site projects just yet.Ask family and friends if you can do their tiling.The money wont be there straight away,quality is more important than speed.

Good luck

C

connel1

I did a two week coarse 4 years ago and I thought yeh great I no a lot did the usual little family jobs easily enough the usual splash back etc then by complete luck I got a job doing commercial tiling and eventually gained my nvq level 2 n skilled worker card but the amount I learnt on site within the first 3 months of first job was incredible and I strongly believe intensive coarses are a good introduction but becoming a tiler dnt just happen after a coarse like any other trade when I first started on site I realised how much is actually involved 1 thing I never even learnt on ma coarse was even how to tile level plumb and no lips lol

T

Time's Ran Out

Russ - Any reply I give to this thread will be typed with a positive attitude.
Firstly, you have loved your 4 week course - and after 38 years of tiling I can honestly say that I find this the most enjoyable and rewarding career choice anyone can make - but a 4 week course is an introduction to the basics of tiling at a DIY level and IMHO not the basis of starting or expecting to be able to ply your services as a professional tiling contractor.
Secondly, in the present economic climate there are tilers out there who are looking for work so the competition will be great. An experienced tiler who works in the domestic market should have a healthy order book and those who are geared up to the larger contracts have the opportunity to diversify into the private sector.
Thirdly, commercial and site work require standards of workmanship/qualifications that require experience and those will not be available to you for 2 years or so.

I do hope that you continue with this trade and as others - start small, put yourself around, keep your prices competitive and portray the attitude of enjoyment.

Remember you have now become a member of the Best Tilers Forum on the internet, so do your research, ask the questions, and learn from some of the more knowledgeable tilers out there.

Good Luck.

russ1

TF
I think im ready to have a go at any sort of tiling, i know you need experience.I tilied our bathroom and kitchen and people thought i did a really good job, thats even before the course, but after doing the course i can see where i have gone wrong by not setting out probably but the rest of the tiling was good i think if your good at something your good at it. Ive only just finished my course on friday and expected to find work straight away bit silly really, ive priced one job up while on my course just waiting to hear, cheers anyway connel just getting worried.

A

Aston

i agree with tj
its good to be optimistic but its much more important to be realistic!!
4 weeks course = 4 weeks experience no matter how much people dress it up.
try to work for with as many good tilers as you can. practice practice practice.
read as much as you can and break it down into sections so the learning has a plan and a format
ie substrates & prep, adhesives & grouts, setting out & patterns, etc etc
ask as much as you like on here because you'll get the answer your looking for from many top people.
take one job at a time and be patient, it does take a few years to get good at what your doing, it would be an insult to the trade to suggest other wise..

best of luck, you seem to have the right attitude and that counts for a lot. just be real with your expectations and keep pushing yourself to be better than the previous day and you wont go wrong ;0)

all the best
ed

C

connel1

Tagging along with some one would be great and if u can find the work you are on a winner also do jobs you feel confident you can complete to a good standard and you will go from strenth to strength and also enjoy the job I think taking to much on will knock your confidence at first but a can do attitude is what's needed sorry if post seemed a bit negative wasn't ment to come across that way all the best

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Russ, and:welcome:I must agree with TJ and Ed. Tiling is a never ending learning curve, after 43yrs in this noble trade, I still learn something new every week. If you can work alongside some experienced tilers that would open your eyes to the true nature of this trade. Although a course will stand you in good stead for your future in this industry.

In all honesty, in this current climate, I would not like to be venturing out in this cruel world with just four weeks under my belt

I hope you can get some hands on experience with a pro tiler.

Good luck, Phil.:thumbsup:

Reply to tiling buisness in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Topps Tiles in-store or online - Genuine Feedback, Positive or Otherwise. I used to work in a...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

russ1

TF
Thread Information

Title
tiling buisness
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.