UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David Dudley

Hi.

I recently removed all my old floorboards and replaced with 18mm Marine Ply.

This I thought was the best thing to do as advised in other posts on other forums and on here.
I have now seen contradictory advice.

The room is 1.6mx3m and most of the floorspace will be taken up by sink,basin and bath. It's a jack 'n Jill style room with a 1.6m length walkway between two opposite doors.

I have drilled the boards at 150mm centres directly to joists and put nuggins in accross the joins.
The thing that I didn't do was seal the edges and underneath. The bathroom is above a living room.

I plan to tank the walls of the shower/bath area.

There is no option of replacing the marine ply as it's now in place and would need cutting up to get out.

I was thinking of tanking the floor too. (Not a wetroom but to make it splashproof as I don't want water damage into living room below)
Would Ditra matting be recommended for this?
I have seen the un-coupling membrane? Is this designed specifically for this application? I've read about warping and obviously the cracking issues so any advice from where to go.

Any recomendations?

Thanks.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi david.....would you mind relling us what the other advice was?

you will get different opinions on installtions..and the one you have chose imo is good..the only thing i would add to what you have done is i would lay 6mm cement boards and tape the joints and i would tile directly to this

no need for tanking a floor or ditra imo for a bathroom but if you choose to go further then tanking is an option

D

David Dudley

The advice was mainly on this forum that ply isn't a good substrate to tile to. This floor seems pretty solid with no deflection.

I put noggins inbetween the joists for extra support and screwed at 150mm centres.
I'd rather not overboard with cement board - this would defeat the object of replacing the original floor in the first place, and I don't really want a step between the carpetted bedrooms and the tiled en-suite.

Using a decent flexible bagged adhesive such as Mapei - is this likely to be a problem or cause cracking?
As added security I was thinking of using Ditra CI+ for waterproofing, and to also help bridge the board joins.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling Floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.