Discuss Tiling Help needed! Tiling over old plaster/wallpaper in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sforde88

Hello Everyone!

new DIYER here. Me and my husband have just brought our first home which was built in 1890 and proberly not much done to it since then!

I need some help with tiling the kitchen. We are getting new worktop fitted on Friday and before this we wanted to remove the existing white (basic) wall tiles. Most of the rooms in the house have never been re plasted, skimmed and have been lined out with paper... sometimes many layers.

Upon removing the tiles in the kitchen we discovred that they had been placed over the existing wall paper. The first tiled we removed the wall paper stayed in-tack but then as we went round the whole (maybe 4 layers) came off leaving the old plaster exposed.

the wall cabnets will lowered slightly and when it comes to tiling we will be plastering over the old plaster and the wall paper. As we dont want to remove ALL the wallpaper from the kitchen can we tile over both of these surfaces?

I have (hopefully) added a photo.

S

sforde88

God... sorry i wrote this in a rush at work and just read it again and it makes no sence!! let me try again.....

....Upon removing the tiles in the kitchen we discovred that they had been placed over the existing old wall paper. The first tile we removed the wall paper stayed in-tack but then as we went round the the rest in the room the paper and top layer or plaster came of with the tile leaving a sandy old plaster behind it.

We are getting the new work top fitted tomorrow and dont have the funds to get the whole room replasted so can we tile over the top of the old plaster and the old wallpaper on the wall now? Obviously the tiles on there before were over the wall paper and they held find but what shall i used to make the wall all the same level before i tile?

Im not sure if im making any sence.......

I also read that you can tile over wall paper if you sand it first and use thinset?

S

sforde88

wall.jpg

G

GordonK

Whilst this is an old thread and I am struggling with the pro's and cons' of doing just this I am curious about the situation I find myself in. I felt it better adding here than doing another thread with the similar issue.

The 2 rooms I have just done had wallpaper put directly onto the plasterboard and I dilligently stripped those off but OMG what an absolute nightmare. It took literally weeks to do ... and the damaged plasterboard couldnt be papered on again - trying to work out where wallpaper/glue finished and the plasterboard surface started was impossible.... this paper was well stuck on. So as well a speeling off paper i ended up having to re-skim the walls.

I am now faced with the bathroon which has been similarly wallpapered - then painted with emulsion - to the board. Im so tempted to just tile on top of the stuff.

Help me understand why thats so bad when plasterboard is , in my simple mind , just plaster with paper glued on top of it .. is the wallpaper not simply another layer similarly bonded to the plaster top..if so why would it 'peel off' when its such a B*****r to get off with steamers , water and raw brute force ...

So why not seal the paper with the right seal and just tile away in this situation. This stuff really is stuck on.

If i have to pull all this wallpaper off again I may not survive....

O

On one

When plasterboard is manufactured the gypsum core is formed by pouring rapid setting liquid gypsum in between an upper and lower layer of paper which is squeezed between rollers to form the different thicknesses of PB comes in.
So in effect it permeates the paper layers and as such it's characteristics are factory controlled and on site uses can be predicted.
When you tile onto 'wallpaper'.....what are you actually tiling onto..... a vinyl covered layer of wallpaper? ,a coat of paint covered wallpaper? and so on and so on.....
Quickest way to deal with wallpaper direct onto plasterboard is to remove the plasterboard! ,believe me, it's not as hard as you think.

G

GordonK

When plasterboard is manufactured the gypsum core is formed by pouring rapid setting liquid gypsum in between an upper and lower layer of paper which is squeezed between rollers to form the different thicknesses of PB comes in.
So in effect it permeates the paper layers and as such it's characteristics are factory controlled and on site uses can be predicted.
When you tile onto 'wallpaper'.....what are you actually tiling onto..... a vinyl covered layer of wallpaper? ,a coat of paint covered wallpaper? and so on and so on.....
Quickest way to deal with wallpaper direct onto plasterboard is to remove the plasterboard! ,believe me, it's not as hard as you think.

Thanks - and tbh I am seriously considering doing just that as opposed to spending weeks pulling paper off walls... this isnt vinyl its just plain old anaglypta and a layer of white emulsion...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Help needed! Tiling over old plaster/wallpaper in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I removed some old tiles from the shower and wanted to know if it's possible to tile...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB