Discuss Tiling in a Brand New House - what do you reckon? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Thepipdoc

My daughter and Hubby are moving into their newly built house on Friday and today we went for a "handover" meeting with the builders.
They have 1 en-suite, 1 bathroom and 1 toilet room.
All 3 rooms are fully tiled floor to ceiling.
Now I can get by with tiling, and I like to think I understand the processes involved in finishing a room to an acceptable standard and was therefore disappointed to find that in all three rooms the tiles have been "butted" up to the already fitted architrave - meaning the tile and the architrave a flush in the bathroom and in the other two rooms the might be an edge of a few mm. In my opinion this it just not acceptable.
The site manager seems to think I am being pedantic in wanting this corrected., but the way I see it finishing it in this fashion is on par with what a DIY-er would do.
If I were doing this job I would have fitted a larger door liner and butted the tiles up to the liner, then planted the architrave on top of the tiles.
The whole point of paying the builders a considerable sum to get this job done correctly was to ensure it was completed to a high standard, unfortunately this isn't the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SJPurdy

If I were doing this job I would have fitted a larger door liner and butted the tiles up to the liner, then planted the architrave on top of the tiles.
That is the way I would have done it. A bit of gap between tiles and liner then cover with architrave. it is the traditional and IMO correct way to do it. But builders will do the cheapest and order all liners for all rooms the same width. It can be corrected by adding an extension piece to the liner (the depth of the tiles) and then fit the architrave over this.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling in a Brand New House - what do you reckon? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB