Discuss Tiling my en-suite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

PMM9BRO

These are some pics of what I have done so far, I would welcome some advice on what I can do with the window cill area image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

T

True Tiling

PMM9BRO - The problem with using ready-mixed tub adhesives is that they depend upon moisture loss to cure. In other words, they need to dry out to be hard, whereas cement-based adhesivesa harden through a chemical reaction. When water-based adhesives are applied to paint, the moisture has nowhere to go apart from into the tile biscuit, into the wall, or through the joints to the air to cure. Moisture can't penetrate paint easily. It seems that the adhesive you are using is not drying out because there is insufficient water loss for it to cure. I think the size of your tiles are probably pushing the weight limits that a ready-mixed adhesive can carry also. I would seriously consider holding back the tiling, stripping the paint now that it is wet, making sure the plaster is solid and dry, priming with an proper primer (not PVA!), and tile using a cement-based adhesive. It's only advise...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling my en-suite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB