Discuss Tiling on bonding.. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

bonding is a soft plaster undercoat draws water in like a sponge porc adhesive is cement based so when you stick to bonding you have a weak holding substrate .now when you fix porcs to this with a cement based adhesive you are putting tougher a weak holding surface any movement and it will fail if the water gets under the silcone it will draw it in like a sponge you may get away with light ceramic tiles but heavy porcs the bonding wont hold the weight

C

celt

Cheaps no good I'd rather do it properly!!

It is getting done properly! Its what plasterers have been doing for years. Its like driving out to the shops , one is driving in a ford forcus and another is driving a top of the range BMW. Theyll both do the same job but some would prefer to go with the better one ;)

I have yet to see a bond used with bonding fail.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
It is getting done properly! Its what plasterers have been doing for years. Its like driving out to the shops , one is driving in a ford forcus and another is driving a top of the range BMW. Theyll both do the same job but some would prefer to go with the better one ;)

I have yet to see a bond used with bonding fail.

Would British gypsum recommend it??
Using bonding for dot n dabbing boards!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
This is going to get interesting?
But I wouldn't listen to a plasterer! I would phone British gypsum and ask there advise on there products not from people who think it works!! 

so true, ive lost count of the amount of times ive argued with a plasterer who thinks tiling over bonding is alright to do....'just pva it and it will be fine'....:mad2: I gave up listening to them years ago....lol

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I've known bonding to fail in a dot n dab situation. Whether that was down to time (the wall had been up a good 25-30 years), or not PVAing the block work properly beforehand I couldn't tell you...!?! As for listening to manufacturers over tradesmen, it's a tough call.. The manufacturers have a newer, slightly more expensive, product to sell... And tradesmen can be stuck in their ways...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Look folks, please look at british gypsum, it ideal for 'plasterboard'
So if it sticks to plasterboard AND sticks to wall its good enough for drylining.
And beanz of coarse you have seen it fail, ive also seen drywall fail, browning, limemotar,s/c.
Same as tiling , everyone on here has seen things fail in tiling what should work.
Now im out, on the beer now
Laters
husu3e9y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Look folks, please look at british gypsum, it ideal for 'plasterboard'
So if it sticks to plasterboard AND sticks to wall its good enough for drylining.
And beanz of coarse you have seen it fail, ive also seen drywall fail, browning, limemotar,s/c.
Same as tiling , everyone on here has seen things fail in tiling what should work.

Now im out, on the beer now
Laters

I'm not disputing that mate.. My point was that you can't believe everything you read, as there are often ulterior motives behind what someone is saying. I tend to believe my own eyes, in most cases.. ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on bonding.. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB