Discuss Tiling on MDF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GazTech

BAL Mosaic-Fix Tile Adhesive
mosaic_fix.jpg
A bright white, non-slip, water and frost-resistant, cementitious wall and floor tile adhesive specially formulated for fixing mosaic tiles including glass mosaics. It is also suitable for fixing ceramic wall and floor tiles, metal or glass tiles, marble, terrazzo, and natural stone in interior and exterior locations. Suitable for use in swimming pools. Can be used on most surfaces including MDF (in internal dry areas).

S

sWe

It's better to use either backerboards or reinforced extruded polystyrene boards for panels. I wouldn't risk using MDF, as it can swell several percent if it gets damp, which might delaminate the tiles. Even moisture resistant MDF can't be counted on to not swell, eventually.

Bear in mind that waterproofing compunds are normally water based and soluable before they dry, and you'd have to tank both sides of the mdf board, which might seal moisture in the panel, which might cause swelling.

I'd use a reinforced extruded polystyrene board. They're not all that expensive, and they're easy to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling on MDF in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling on MDF
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.