Discuss Tiling On New Plastered Walls in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
Hi all
Went to look at a bathroom tiling job, the bath wall needs a bit of work to level it out then skimmed, just want to double check, whats the general rule for tiling after fresh skim. I would have thought a week for drying.

Also,the customer had bought the tiles and adhesive, a while ago, not sure how long, she was vague, anyway she wants to use it, is there a use by date on tub addy, could not see one.
Cheers
D

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Is my 'all the questions I asked.....' Thread still knocking about here somewhere Dan?
It is. It was sticky until recently when I installed something that made some threads sticky in all forums, so it made the tiling forum look sticky heavy lol

Can't find it on my phone but I will in a mo on lappy.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi all
Went to look at a bathroom tiling job, the bath wall needs a bit of work to level it out then skimmed, just want to double check, whats the general rule for tiling after fresh skim. I would have thought a week for drying.

Also,the customer had bought the tiles and adhesive, a while ago, not sure how long, she was vague, anyway she wants to use it, is there a use by date on tub addy, could not see one.
Cheers
D

When you say "needs work" and a skim.
What is the wall construction and condition?

What tiles are you fixing? Size and material?

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
When you say "needs work" and a skim.
What is the wall construction and condition?

What tiles are you fixing? Size and material?

The wall has a bow inward in the middle lower part, prob falls in about 1" for a third of the bath length and around the same up the wall, areas of the wall look like they have polyfilla (THIN COATS) on which has blown in areas to, plus what looks like a poor job with multiskim in places, so my intentions is to knock this stuff off which is loose, level off with featheredge using browning then skim, to give a good flat surface to come off, original bath, sink etc are staying put.

Tiles are ceramic, size approx. 200x250, only 6mm thick

Why tile onto skim? Nasty stuff has no place in tiling.
S&C render every time if needed.

would we using a 3/1 mix @impish ???

You can see when its dry enough to tile
I know when its dry, just wondered if there was a general rule before tiling on it.

cheers
D

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
The wall has a bow inward in the middle lower part, prob falls in about 1" for a third of the bath length and around the same up the wall, areas of the wall look like they have polyfilla (THIN COATS) on which has blown in areas to, plus what looks like a poor job with multiskim in places, so my intentions is to knock this stuff off which is loose, level off with featheredge using browning then skim, to give a good flat surface to come off, original bath, sink etc are staying put.

Tiles are ceramic, size approx. 200x250, only 6mm thick

would we using a 3/1 mix @impish ???

I know when its dry, just wondered if there was a general rule before tiling on it.

cheers
D
Yep the general rule is............ DON'T TILE ON IT!!!!!!!

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
Be quicker to take the bath out, take it back to block and board.

If it's existing how comes it dips in an inch?
The bath has tongue and grove panelsall around, thats all staying put, i think the wall has always been like that, it may have had paper on it nd they just lived with it, the lady lives on her own with her elderly mother so may they had a go at trying flatten it a bit with some gear from the local diy.
So would you use sand, cement render?
Browing and skim?
Or something else, taking it back to bricks not an option on this one.

Cheers
D

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling On New Plastered Walls in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Evening all, I've got a job coming up soon in a bathroom, wall to ceiling around the bath then...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB