Discuss Tiling on old floor tiles? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

K

kgr1979

I have a job coming up where the customer wants me to lay down 6m2 of ceramic floor tiles, 5mm thick. At the moment he has vinyl on the kitchen floor. His taking that up, but underneath there are old tiles, they seemed in decent nick, slightly damp though, floor is pretty level.He doesn't want to take the tiles up. Will it be ok to tile on these, and if so, should i prepare them and what Ad should i use, i use BAL products?

Any help would be appreciated!

G

grumpygrouter

I have a job coming up where the customer wants me to lay down 6m2 of ceramic floor tiles, 5mm thick. At the moment he has vinyl on the kitchen floor. His taking that up, but underneath there are old tiles, they seemed in decent nick, slightly damp though, floor is pretty level.He doesn't want to take the tiles up. Will it be ok to tile on these, and if so, should i prepare them and what Ad should i use, i use BAL products?

Any help would be appreciated!

5mm thick, thats pretty thin even for a wall tile! There is danger of failure with tiles that thin, you would need to ensure that each tile has an absolutley solid bed IMO.

You can tile on tile as long as the current tiles are solidly fixed. I agree with turkish for procedures.

Grumpy

M

monty

5mm thick, thats pretty thin even for a wall tile! There is danger of failure with tiles that thin, you would need to ensure that each tile has an absolutley solid bed IMO.

You can tile on tile as long as the current tiles are solidly fixed. I agree with turkish for procedures.

Grumpy

I've been asked to go and estimate 30 sqm of porcelain onto old tiles (floor), and over the phone i've said its possible aslong as the old tiles are solidly fixed and the woman said shes had another tiler in and he said if theres a few cracked tiles then he can take them out and just fill it in with adhesive.Is this right??

Cheers guys:grin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on old floor tiles? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB