Discuss tiling on outside patio concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

saarch

Hi everyone

I am interested in getting my outside patio tiled and I have porcelain tiles 600mmx300mm and I want to lay them in brick effect. The floor is leveled and only jas a few paint marks om them (from painting my wall)
I was recommended by a bal customer service to get the stone and tile ptb but when I spoke to my tiler they said do not use a rapid set adhesive with large format tiles in a brick bond set. Theres a good chance the tiles will be slightly bowed as well which causes lipping. Is this true and can you recommend a product to use? Could I use bal part set flexible adhesive?
Also would I need anything else to lay down before onto the concrete before the adhesive (liquid membrane or anything else) 20130813_190839.jpg 20130813_190612.jpg 20130813_190839.jpg 20130813_190612.jpg

Kind regards

Sasha

Attachments

• 20130813_190639.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 178
T

Time's Ran Out

Im the tiler, and that wasnt exactly what I said. I suggest you get both sides first before making such remarks.
I went to see the job this evening, after several emails.

With respect this thread was started 11 hours ago so if you have just been to see it perhaps there are other tilers involved as well!
As there was no other side to consider in the original post everyone is entitled to make a comment on the information provide. It would be more interesting to hear your take on the job rather than chastising other members - IMHO
!

M

MTiler

With respect this thread was started 11 hours ago so if you have just been to see it perhaps there are other tilers involved as well!
As there was no other side to consider in the original post everyone is entitled to make a comment on the information provide. It would be more interesting to hear your take on the job rather than chastising other members - IMHO
!

We'd swopped many emails yesturday,and I know exactly the comments he's referring to.

P

Protilers

Anything external should be fixed in rapid IMO......and so should ALL Floors!......
there are a mutitude of reasons for this aside from the fact that some chap will come along and stomp all over what you have just installed......
The minute your back is turned he/she will be treading on it!...
as Dave pointed out there is also the frost/thaw effect...........or just rain.......for that matter........... exterior applications need to be completed quick smart........IMO

all the best

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I am doing a job at the moment which is outside using 600 x 300 porcelain brick bond, it's a mausoleum so it's covered but open to the elements. I'm using standard set for various reasons, the main one being my water supply is too far away to keep cleaning my gear, the temp is pretty stable up these parts at the moment so there is no worries there. But normally i would be using rapid for the reasons listed above. As far as people walking on them though, i don't have much to worry about....

They are all laying down and won't be moving any time soon.....

P

Protilers

I am doing a job at the moment which is outside using 600 x 300 porcelain brick bond, it's a mausoleum so it's covered but open to the elements. I'm using standard set for various reasons, the main one being my water supply is too far away to keep cleaning my gear, the temp is pretty stable up these parts at the moment so there is no worries there. But normally i would be using rapid for the reasons listed above. As far as people walking on them though, i don't have much to worry about....

They are all laying down and won't be moving any time soon.....

sounds fair to me............there are always exceptions to the rule.....but, in your case I would throw a WATERPROOF dust sheet over it at night.......that will stop any water/moisture getting into the joints.....

all the best

Lee

S

Spud

Rapid set is very much a UK preferenced adhesive , I didnt ever usr any rapid set when I worked in Germany ze germans dont like it as there is too much wasted adhesive ptb is wgreat adhesive for lsrge format as it slumps under the tile and gives full coverage but may not be right for your patio as it may need falls in it to control the water run off , I dont know what the best thing is for your patio as I haven't seen it .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
You tiler said do not use rapid set with large format.. :lol: i suggest you look for a proper tiler.. the PTB by Bal is a good adhesive but not the cheapest around...

I aint bitching dave, your post above just sounds like your bitching must be the way i read it mate !
Im all for rapid on floors, its what i use , but on a crappy little bathroom id possibly use standard.
As for outside, you and lee say using rapid is nearly a must as it will be open to the elements, i think possibly even a tiler should know not to tile outside if its going to freeze overnight,just like a brickie or plasterer would, and he defo would cover at night just in case it rains,or he should.
Obviously we get caught short at times with our unpredictable weather but it happens.

D

DHTiling

I can only say it again , I was not the one the OP said who advised them rapid set wasn't suitable for large format , why am I the bad guy ???

Like all threads started on here we can only go from go from what the thread starter says.

IMO rapid set or ptb IS Suitable for large format in external locations.

So look to who gave the advice to the thread starter at the visit to their house , not me.

Reply to tiling on outside patio concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB