UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling on plywood: how to deal with the 3mm gap: plywood joints in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
i personally think we are all mad on here.
we give advice to people that puts us out of work...i can just imagine sitting infront of alan sugar and saying,,err ive got a business, its called tiling and i tell people how to do it on a forum and then they go off and do it??

this recessions got me thinking? how about the rest of you?

A very valid point Ed. for the last 4 years nearly all my work has been commercial, I've got some great contacts and the work has kept coming in. At the moment I am about to start to try and break back into the local domestic market and hopefully split my time between the 2. I must admit if there was a local tiler new to the trade asking question it would make me think twice about helping....... But knowing me I'd still help!!!

A

Aston

i love helping people too pete, i really do. id give you my last pound if you needed it more than me.
maybe my comments were selfish?

ok, mirjam
if its just 25mm ply over stable joists, then id leave the gaps and simply overboard the ply with a tile backerboards glued and screwed with the same 2-3mm gaps around the boards (taped & filled with spf adhesive) and then leave a 5mm perimeter expansion gap around the edge of the floor of the room...theres your suitable surface on which to tile...oh and you will have saved a bit of money seeing that cash is a bit tight being a student and all ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
i love helping people too pete, i really do. id give you my last pound if you needed it more than me.
maybe my comments were selfish?

ok, mirjam
if its just 25mm ply over stable joists, then id leave the gaps and simply overboard the ply with a tile backerboards glued and screwed with the same 2-3mm gaps around the boards and 5mm around the perimeter of the room...theres your suitable surface on which to tile...oh and you will have saved a bit of money seeing that cash is a bit tight being a student and all ;0)

not at all pal, I've seen a few posts saying similar things. I like the thought of helping someone through a DIY project knowing that even if the finish wasn't quite right they'd be really pleased with what they'd achieved. It's the chancers that think they can make a few quid tiling "because it's easy" then need to be talked through every step of the job. I have real admiration for the people who come on here offering free help to anyone that will help teach them a few things, the ones that genuinely want to learn the trade and know it won't be easy.

oh and I am skint if you could send me that pound......:yikes:

P

Protilers

We are all educating the chancers and the Diyers............as well as the tilers whom are new to the trade and want to excell.......that is the nature of an open forum!
the chancers will still take chances.....the diyers will still do research on the internet..... get the "real" answer....and get the job wrong (because they are not practiced!).............and the tilers that want to excell........

well, they will do good stuff in time......

all the best

Lee

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
We are all educating the chancers and the Diyers............as well as the tilers whom are new to the trade and want to excell.......that is the nature of an open forum!
the chancers will still take chances.....the diyers will still do research on the internet..... get the "real" answer....and get the job wrong (because they are not practiced!).............and the tilers that want to excell........

all the best

Lee

you're absolutely right mate and as I said in one of my previous posts, I'll still help whatever. We're all too nice on here:lol:

A

Aston

all the best

Lee

it pains me to say it lee but that was a very well put statement ;0)
in the words of mirjam, you have been rewarded with a ''thanks' and a 'Like'

seriously
good point, well made.
ed

P

Protilers

you're absolutely right mate and as I said in one of my previous posts, I'll still help whatever. We're all too nice on here:lol:

hahhahahaa...we all do it because we love the trade....and we all want to help....whomever they happen to be.....that said.......

I am sure someone could explain to me how to fly a plane......and I would understand........comprehensively............

(A TEAM QUOTE incoming)...........as much as I understand the theory............I aint' getting on no plane fool!

hheheheheheh.......

P

Protilers

but is he going to fix the decoupler with ptb ? i have only ever used rapid ptb

good point PJC......went right over my head!!!!!!!!!!!....so........PTB is great stuff under certain conditions!!!!

I have a trowel supplied to me that is branded by a certain decoupler producer......and is reccommended for fixing thier product to the "substrate".......and it is 3mmx3mm square notch!.......

mirjam if you use PTB to fix your decoupler use a suitable trowel and ...........the floor should be flat by whatever means neccacary, before you apply the decoupler!

all the best

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling on plywood: how to deal with the 3mm gap: plywood joints in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
R
Started a wet room this week normally I use mosaics on the tray but they don't do a matching one...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
Hi Apologies for what i'm sure is a pretty obvious question: I'm about to do my second ever...
Replies
Views
Simon benn Leeds
S
This is about a Victorian conversion property I am buying. I agreed purchase on condition that I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.