UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling on to plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

natnat

Hi

I recently tiled a bathroom which was boarded out on the stud walls with 12mm wbp(origin china).It was a ceramic tile approx 400mmx250mm.
Ply was primed with acrylic primer then tiles fixed with a good quality single part flexible adhesive.

Floor was joists @ 400mm centres.22mm Chipboard overboarded with 12mm wbp(china origin). tiles are porcelain 300mmx300mm.

All have come away completely from plywood.

I have been using these methods for years with no problems.

Anyone got any input on what the cause could be for this major failure.

R

ruairi mac

I had originally thought it would be a movement issue with the ply, but if that was the case I would have expected the adhesive to be mainly stuck to ply and the tiles to have been clean.

What your'e describing, to me, suggests an issue with the primer. As long as the adhesive has stuck to one surface you an be pretty sure the adhesive isn't at fault.

Was the primer a new bottle or did you have it lying around for a while?
Did you mix it or apply it neat?
Did you stick tiles while primer was still tacky?

B

Brendan25

i would start a over and use
[h=4]Weather & Boil Proof (WBP)[/h]This is what most people usually mean when they say "marine ply". It is a high quality ply suitable for outdoor applications. As its name suggests it will remain waterproof, and won't blister or de-laminate even if soaked and then left to dry in the sun. Unlike marine ply it may have small voids, and is not suited to constant immersion, but is cheaper. Finish is usually nice and uniform (if a little plain) with no visible knots in the outer surfaces. then tank it with bal water proofing kit and go from there i hope this helps...

P

PHG Dave

i would start a over and use
Weather & Boil Proof (WBP)

This is what most people usually mean when they say "marine ply". It is a high quality ply suitable for outdoor applications. As its name suggests it will remain waterproof, and won't blister or de-laminate even if soaked and then left to dry in the sun. Unlike marine ply it may have small voids, and is not suited to constant immersion, but is cheaper. Finish is usually nice and uniform (if a little plain) with no visible knots in the outer surfaces. then tank it with bal water proofing kit and go from there i hope this helps...

WBP plywood, even the best quality, is NOT waterproof.
Also there is too much chance of coming across substandard ply stamped as WBP grade that will delaminate if any moisture gets to it.
Plywood should not be used as wallboards to tile onto, use either a cement based tile backer board which would be water resistant, or Marmox boards which are waterproof

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling on to plywood in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm having the majority of the ground floor of my house tiled (35m²) and I'm not...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm a DIYer so apologies if I get the terminology wrong etc I've started work remodeling...
Replies
Views
Bit of an intro - I'm a competent DIYer and have been refurbing the bathroom on and off for the...
Replies
Views
L
Hi there I am new to this and I would just appreciate a little bit of advice. I have searched...
2 3
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.