Discuss Tiling on Wet/Piped UFH overlay system in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ren+

Tiling on Wet/Piped UFH overlay system (Advice needed)

Hi all. Can I ask for a bit of advice please.

I’m busy quoting on a bathroom refurb that is in an established older house. I need to install a wet/piped UFH system which will be overlaid on top of the existing floor planks. Final floor will be approx 450x450 porc tiles. They’ve had another en-suite done in a similar manner, which they’re chuffed with.

The spec’s of my job are:
Existing floor is planked and is on the first floor with household rooms below. The overlay UFH system is made by Uponor and is constructed of 13mm WBP 175mm wide boards with heat reflective foil underneath (also act as spreaders I assume). The pipes are 12mm and are laid in pre grooved channels in the WBP board. It’s basically a kit system. This then needs to be overlaid with some sort of board. Just a quick mention that the UFH 13mm boards, which will house the pipes, will be screwed at 150mm centres.
This is the part where I need some advice pls. Normally I would have gone for backer board on top of wood, however the pipes will then end up under backer board … not good. As I’m concerned that the 13mm UFH overlay boards are too ‘cut up’ and not enough sheeting effect, I’m thinking of further overlaying with something like 9mm WBP ply screwed at 150mm centres and then addy to go for = Keraquick + admix. Grout = flexible FTG.

Just thought I’d mention at this point that electrical UFH and lifting the existing planks to install heating pipes underneath is not an option as customer is not keen on either.

Your words of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thx.
Andre’

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ren+

Hi guys

Thx 4 your input. Right first to respond to Sir Ramic. I've looked into the Polypipe product. The whole house has been replumbed with a super new pressurised continuous loop system (s-plan for all different circuits) so I thought I'd have a chat with the guys who did the replumb and they recon that they'd go for the Uponor system everytime. So that has basically set he mark and I'll have to work around it's parameters. As far as SLC is concerned, the only product I have got to trust so far is something made by Bostik called FA600. It has a reinforcing microfibre added to the dry powder which is just mixed with water (polymers in dry mix). If there are better products then it's just my ignorance. I'm a bit scared of just going straight onto the 13mm system which, as I mentioned, has been cut up quite a bit so the pipes can be set into it(does that make sense?) and I would have thought that it therefore is not very stable.

Dave, thx for looking into it. Same point as I mentioned to Sir Ramic, ... will going straight onto the system be sufficient substructure strength to resist flexing?? You recommend even going straight onto joists (removing planks ??) Hmmm ... let's put it this way, the ply boards that the pipes are laid into, are only 13mm thick and every 170mm there's a 12mm groove cut into them to fit the underlay pipes into, which means that the boards are only 1mm thick in places. I'd much rather have some support under them. I have no experience with uncoupling membrane, so your guidance in this regard will be good. I've always overlaid timber floors with at least 9mm WBP ply (screwed 150mm centres) and used an Ultimate Flex adhesive (Granfix). Hence never used uncoupling membrane. A I said, any guidance with uncoupling membrane will be well received. I understand that you're also addressing the height issue ... height is also a concern.

F

faithhealer

to ren+ - i am at exactly the same position this week. uponor wet system upstairs, identical!!!
it is solid as a rock, and been overlaid with 6mm ply, am contacting their tech guys tomorrow, but what did you end up doing? i see this is a year or so old this thread, so would love to hear how you went a bout it....
will pm you too
cheers
afraid Ren hasn't been on for over a year either

Reply to Tiling on Wet/Piped UFH overlay system in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling on Wet/Piped UFH overlay system
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.