Discuss Tiling onto chipboard? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

weirdfish

Am I right in thinking that it's not advisable to tile directly onto chipboard, this is in the en-suite, and it looks like the water resistant type, ( slightly green in colour ).
The old tiles were stuck onto thin ply, but I had to take that up due to the amount of adhesive that was left on it, I suppose that might be giving me my answer, but just thought I'd ask in case things were different now, especially with new products.
The other reason is that we want to put down slightly thicker tiles, and it would create a very slight step if ply is required.

O

Old Mod

If u have room, glue and screw 6mm Hardibacker, simplist solution.
Prime floor, follow adhesive manufacturers recommendation
Stick down with same adhesive as you're going to use on floor.
Overlap joints beneath. Stagger joints on Hardie. Screw down and countersink screw heads.
Don't use Hardie screws, something like Turbo gold screws from screwfix.
Tape Hardie joints with a scrim tape, cover tape with tight skim of tile adhesive.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've seen a couple of failed floors recently where ditra was used directly over chip board, granted I don't know what adhesive was used but, they had failed none the less. Only small bathroom floors, 3m max.

This is one of the points raised when I spoke with @Glynn yesterday,
TM prefer use of board in these situations over decoupler.

This was atopic I was leading into with my polypipe UFH post a few weeks back.

I don't know if it's people not understanding it's actual usage, or maybe being misinformed. But it's for lateral movement not defection. (not that I'm saying a backer is)
If the chipboard still has bounce then ditra is money down the drain.

Small pun there.

What was the reason/symptoms of failure on the one you looked at @Bri?

I

Ian

This was atopic I was leading into with my polypipe UFH post a few weeks back.

I don't know if it's people not understanding it's actual usage, or maybe being misinformed. But it's for lateral movement not defection. (not that I'm saying a backer is)
If the chipboard still has bounce then ditra is money down the drain.

Small pun there.

What was the reason/symptoms of failure on the one you looked at @Bri?
Deflection, chipboard was just nailed to the joists and had worked loose over a short period of time, most of the grout had either hairline cracks or had big chunks missing.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Deflection, chipboard was just nailed to the joists and had worked loose over a short period of time, most of the grout had either hairline cracks or had big chunks missing.

Deflection, exactly. No amount of ditra would of helped. Had a backer been used instead the likelihood is that by glueing and screwing them in would of provided enough stability for the floor to be tiled.

Ditra over chipboard doesn't get you away from the fact that chipboard is a load of tosh in the first place.

Timber floor, backerboard
SLC, screed, stone or anything heated. Ditra

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling onto chipboard? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We just had a 1.5 sq. m area of floor tiled professionally in our ensuite. The base floor is 18...
Replies
Views
I am tiling a bathroom floor of 3.3 sq meters. There is currently 22mm green chipboard down...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to the forum, I'm a customer of a bodged tiling job done 2 years ago by a general...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB