UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling onto external concrete step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I can't find this one listed but Im sure it probably is so apologies if that's the case...

I have been asked to tile a step of all things & im going to take a look tomorrow to suss it out. Customer wants her back door step tiling & has bought slate tiles. Im unsure of size & type at this stage but they are going onto a concrete step. Does it need to be sealed & what type of adhesive is recommended for this type of installation?

Many thanks

M

Mike Mike

Hello, any cementious adhesive that is recommended by the manufacturer for outdoor tiling of natural stone should be fine. Mapei Keraflex Maxi S1 is a nice one.

The step itself doesn't need to be primed (if that was the question??) but if there is any sign of plant life or the like then abrade it with an angle grinder fitted with a wire brush attachment, and if that isn't man enough to get it all off then stick a disc on the grinder and get it off with that.

When tiling, back butter the tiles AND spread a thin layer on the step with the straight edge of the trowel just before laying. Don't lay them if the temperature is less than 5 degrees, and cover the step for 24 hours after fixing to keep the tiles dry, and stop it freezing overnight). When you grout do the same thing, keep it covered overnight.

If you were asking about sealing the tiles (as opposed to the step) then yes, definitely seal them before grouting otherwise you'll never get the cement residue off.

Some adhesive manufacturers might recommend priming concrete steps outdoors prior to fixing, I don't know. Adhesives usually say they function between -30 degrees and +90, whereas primer can't usually handle the cold that well... It's your call.

Personally I don't like tiling outdoor steps, but then for the last 3 winters it has been -28 degrees regularly, and for prolonged periods, in the daytime, God knows how cold it went overnight. Problem is NOTHING in this world is stronger than water, absolutely NOTHING. And when water freezes, it expands, and nothing can contain it. Hell, they break up granite boulders by drilling holes in them, filling them with water and then letting them freeze. The frozen water splits the boulders into pieces. So no matter how good your tile adhesive, if enough water gets in, and it gets cold enough, they will pop off. And you'll be getting a call back... Make sure your customer understands the risks...

i've done lots of outdoor steps, usually with 15x15 quarry tiles.
Yes your slate will need sealing & you'll have to use a frost proof adhesive & grout. I use bal for my steps (spf but not sure which one)
Just check the bag 'cos they will say if suitable for outdoor use.
obv there's the -5 temperature limit, and I wouldn't do it if you're expecting rain - unless its fully covered...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling onto external concrete step in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.