Guest viewing is limited

Discuss tiling onto floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

the tin maN

i'm having a kitchen extension built. The floor is a floating floor type. concrete base> 4inch insulation> green flooring chipboard (glued to insulation). It is only now yhat i have been informed that i cannot have ceramic floor tiles laid onto this. Is this correct or, with the correct flexible adhesive, can i still have tiles laid. Thanking all in advance for their advice and guidance.
the tin man.

T

Time's Ran Out

There are a few adhesive suppliers who will have guides for tiling onto floating floors with their adhesives - but they usually cover themselves by 'must be a stable and deflection free surface' ie any guarantee will be null and void at their whim!
Only your tiling contractor can assess the suitability of the sub floor and any preparation required - but in the majority of cases you will hear - floating floor - no tiling!

D

Daz

Okay, just to "buck the trend".

I have a lot of properties local to me that are floating floors.
Yes, the floor needs to be virtually deflection free. I then use 6mm "No More Ply" securely glued and screwed in a brickbond fashion. I have used 300 x 300mm vitrified ceramics, square & modular porcelains and 22mm thick sandstones and have had no reported issues. I have received recommendations and further work from clients with floating floors and have not noticed any issues when viewing floors that were tiled years ago.

I always use Ardex 7001 adhesive and Ardex FS or FL flexible grout.

I agree that the general rule of thumb is to not tile onto a floating floor, so maybe I have just been lucky with the floors that I have done.

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Okay, just to "buck the trend".

I have a lot of properties local to me that are floating floors.
Yes, the floor needs to be virtually deflection free. I then use 6mm "No More Ply" securely glued and screwed in a brickbond fashion. I have used 300 x 300mm vitrified ceramics, square & modular porcelains and 22mm thick sandstones and have had no reported issues. I have received recommendations and further work from clients with floating floors and have not noticed any issues when viewing floors that were tiled years ago.

I always use Ardex 7001 adhesive and Ardex FS or FL flexible grout.

I agree that the general rule of thumb is to not tile onto a floating floor, so maybe I have just been lucky with the floors that I have done.

Thanks Andrew
have done similar but used Bal Fastflex instead of Ardex

Reply to tiling onto floating floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
tiling onto floating floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.