Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Onto Floorboards in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Willdcfc

Hi, I want to tile my bathroom floor, it's only a small bathroom and when i went to the Tile shop they recommended Hardier BackBoard. They said for me to use a flexible adhesive and screw this down to the floorbaords then tile on top etc...

I'm just abit aprehensive about putting and adhesive directly onto my floorboards and ruining them? I've seen various stuff online either saying screw some plywood down first or just use ply or just screw backboard down...

there seems to be no definitive answer??

Can someone please help.

Regards

P

p4ulo

Hi.
You have had the correct advice from the Tile Shop for using Hardie.
The use of the tile adhesive between the boards and the floor boards is to help fill any voids or gaps between the two layers, its not meant to "glue" them together, you must screw the two together to form the "mechanical bond". Its a well proven and very popular method of fixing tiles to floorboard floors. I personally wouldn't use anything else.
Good luck.

I

Ian

Yeah thankyou anyway but already bought the backboard so might aswell use that. How thick should the adhesive be between the floorboards and backboard?? Just a nice layer im guessing? Would you let it set before screwing it in or at the same time??
Use a 6mm square notched trowel of the boards are fairly decent and flat, maybe go to 8mm if the floor is a bit uneven. Always screw when the adhesive is still wet so it compresses down, I tend to have a little walk over the boards before screwing just to really set the board into the adhesive.

Reply to Tiling Onto Floorboards in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement