UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling onto hardboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

l sharp

Oh god I am not going to attempt this myself. I have a pro for the job but he is up in London at buck palace preparing for the jubilee celebrations and will not be back till mid next week. I was just wanting to get some ideas as to how to tackle the task. We are going to chip up the hardboard and them he is going to fit the manhole cover and then slc the kitchen area level with the chipboard. Then going to lay durabase across the 2 areas and then tile on top with flexible adhesive. Got a plan of action now. Thank you all :)

R

Rookery

What's under the chipboard, is that part a floating floor? If so, I wouldnt tile on it at all. If its chipboard onto joists then I'd :-
Screw chipboard to joists at 300 c/s.
Overboard it with 6mm Hardie, glued with flexible adhesive such as Keraquick.
Rip up the hardboard from the concrete part.
Level the concrete part up to the Hardie part with SLC.
Fix tiles with a flexible adhesive, rapid or slow setting to suit yourself.
You will need a movement joint where the 2 substrates meet.
I wouldnt use Ditra in this instance.

L

l sharp

We are now going to hardiebacker over the top of the chipboard and slc across the top of the concrete to level it to the hardiebacker with an extension joint between the two areas. This makes more sense than the other options. I have conflicting advice one person has told me to screw the hardiebacker down and another ( which is what we were going to do ) is use tile adheasive. Also do we need to tape of the joins? Someone said yes and someone else said.not to?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling onto hardboard? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.