Discuss Tiling Onto Old Rendered Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi Guys,

Got another kitchen install coming up and am tiling the floor which was covered with Lino. Owner has taken the lino up now and tells me it isn't great underneath. I am presuming (based on his other floor which I have seen) being a very old concrete with render floor where the render is a cracked and coming up in places and possibly old bitumen. Don't know how level it is yet, will check all this out in Friday. but am presuming not perfect. So what is the standard approach for this ? I am guessing just remove all loose material and scrape off any surface glue etc that easily comes away then put down a decent self leveller and tile away. Is there any reason to do any more like maybe a SLC slurry? (possibly even instead of a self leveller if flat already), which I see mentioned on here a bit, to stabilise everything?

Another question if I may which Ive seen you pro tilers mention a bit which is to scrape butter a tile ? You've obviously laid your adhesive out on the floor but then sometimes you say to scrape butter the tile as well to aid adhesion, but why ? Surely if the adhesive has been put down and you bed the tile properly why does putting a smear across the back of the tile help ? Just wondering like :)

Many thanks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Onto Old Rendered Floor in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB