Discuss Tiling over floorboads in a bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

aled

Hi,
I am renovating my property and the bathroom needs a complete overhal. At the moment the bathroom has floorboards. I am not happy to simply tile onto the floorboards as there could be some movement with them. So, with this in mind i need to make the floor more rigid before tiling. Should I: -

1. Fix plywood on top of the floorboards. I have read that to do this i need to use 12mm WBP plywood screwed every 150mm. The only issue with this is that it could cause a step from the landing into the bathroom. Something I would like to avoid if at all possible.
  2. Remove the existing floorboards and fix plywood directly onto the joists with 25mm WBP plywood fixing noggins where boards join across joists.
I am not in the trade and I have no idea what I exactly need to use in order to make the floor ready for tiling. I would be grateful for your help and advice.

Thanks in advance

C

CJ CERAMICS

hello aled and welcome to the forum.

both of your options are the correct way but the better of the 2 is to remove the floorboards and replace with wbp plywood.
you will have to check as to where the joists sit as to your walls as you usually find that the wall sits bang on a joist if this is the case you will have to add another joist or 2 so that you do not have any movement. as you say extra noggins will be needed where boards join. personally i also add noggins every 2 foot for added strength. you will need to prime the underside of the plywood to stop moisture penetrating from below. once the plyborad is down you would be best to overlay this with 6mm hardibacker to give a better tiling substrate.

hope this helps
chris

D

DHTiling

Remove old boards and replace with 22 wbp ply. Then 6mm backerboard. This will give you no more difference in height than by over laying with 12mm as stated...12mm is too thin anyway.
While the floor is removed you may as well add some noggins for extra strength. You only want to do the job once, so do it well.

I concur with this reply..:):):)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling over floorboads in a bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB