Discuss Tiling over some old floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

D

doingthekitchen

I am going to be tiling over the old ceramic tiles in our kitchen, the tiles are old (50,s council house) and quite rough from years of bleaching/cleaning. Can anyone recommend an adhesive that is fast setting and available from the likes of B&Q, Wickes etc? Any advice given on doing the job would be appreciated as this is my first time doing tiling, many thanks...........Martin

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forums.

Best advice you will get is to take the tiles up and start from scratch, you have no idea what the floor is like beneath the tiles. They may have de-bonded and you could ruin the new tiles. Get an sds drill with a chisel attachment and they will be up in a matter of hours. You can then inspect the floor and remedy it if needed. Get your adhesive from a tile supplier such as Tilegiant.

B and spew, wickes etc sell diy materials at inflated prices.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Martin, work out what you have paid for the tiles and adhesive and then add all your time into that figure. It will be a considerable amount and you could end up just throwing it down the drain, any problem can be remedied so once the tiles are up just screed that area to match the concrete, you will have to put an expansion joint in between the old and new floor which is easy. More prep now will result in less problems in the future.

:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling over some old floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB