Discuss Tiling over tiles - best adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I'm planning to re-tile area between worktop and wall cupboards in kitchen. I previously tiled it myself 24 years ago by lining the wall with chipboard screwed to a frame over the original wall. This gave a strong even surface which tiled well, concealed the wiring for the sockets etc and supported the wall cupboards (they sit on top of these boards.) The existing tiles are slim 6" square white tiles and are still completely sound and well fixed.

The chipboard and framing runs approx 6" down below the worktop (it provides a secure fixing for the base cupboards as well as support for the wall cupboards) so hacking it all out would mean removing worktop, cupboards, sink, two integrated appliances........!!

Because I've no worries about weight bearing or soundness of originals and edges are covered by run of worktop below and cupboards above I'd prefer to tile over tile rather than rip out all the chipboard and electrics.

The new tiles are small light ones - 'underground' brickwork shape/size so they would span the old grouting well.

My only concerns are preparation of the surface and correct adhesive. I emailed Unibond and they recommend simply cleaning the old surface well then using their 'Maximum Strength' adhesive but I'd be glad of advice from professionals on this. My inclination would be to source something like Bal, MAPEI or similar, although these are not so easy to come by for DIY users and they seem to have a lot to choose from.

I DO know that tiling over tiles is not best practice and I don't normally take shortcuts on jobs but in these specific circumstances the alternative would probably cause serious headaches.

SO - best adhesive? score old surface? primer???

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling over tiles - best adhesive? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I removed some old tiles from the shower and wanted to know if it's possible to tile...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB