Discuss Tiling over tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jwatson

if its not flat enough you could dot and dab plaster board onto wall.
DONT skim the plaster board. The board themself will hold more weight than with a scim on it 32kg m2 inc adhesive and grout.( work out the weight per m2 ) for a more secure way use a tile backing board they have far superiour weight load m2.

A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the recommended max weight ratings in KG / m2

Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fibre Board.....................40KG

Remember to factor in the weight of the tile / m2 AND adhesive and grout

(Some adhesives are manufactured as lighter products).
Grout.........2KG / m2
Adhesive....4KG / m2

grout weight will also depend on how large the tiles are that you are using and the thickness eg a tiled area that uses 300mm tiles will have more grout than an area with 600mm.

C

cyclonebri1

if its not flat enough you could dot and dab plaster board onto wall.
DONT skim the plaster board. The board themself will hold more weight than with a scim on it 32kg m2 inc adhesive and grout.( work out the weight per m2 ) for a more secure way use a tile backing board they have far superiour weight load m2.

A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the recommended max weight ratings in KG / m2

Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fibre Board.....................40KG

Remember to factor in the weight of the tile / m2 AND adhesive and grout

(Some adhesives are manufactured as lighter products).
Grout.........2KG / m2
Adhesive....4KG / m2

grout weight will also depend on how large the tiles are that you are using and the thickness eg a tiled area that uses 300mm tiles will have more grout than an area with 600mm.

Ah, excellant info. Tiles are 23kg per 1.1sq mtr so sand cement render would be better for me. If I did use a form of backer board what would be the fixing method, and what adhesive for large porcelain tiles?

J

jwatson

for backer board you could use dry lining adhesive it is strong stuff. or mechanicaly fix them to wall (plug and screw every 300mm2).
the adhesive is just what best you can get in your area (make sure its powder.) the sponser for the forum i think is mapei and they are a very respected adhesive amongst pro's. if you have one near you go into tile giant (sponser of this site) they are always realy helpful and will sort you out.
mapei keraflex is a good one. Tile giant stock mapei products.

Reply to Tiling over tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys i’m going to be tiling over skimmed plaster walls in a kitchen for first time. (first...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling over tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.