Discuss Tiling planning advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

All,

I have been planning out my tiling using a batten marked with the tile length and height (plus 3mm grout) and walking it up the wall to check positioning.

I have the usual various (annoyingly in the way) features around the room such as bath, shower tray and window ledges to take into consideration as well as a two recess built into a stud wall (above bath and in shower).

I have worked out that if I fix full tiles around the bath then everything else works around the room but I will have a strip of around 35-50mm of tile at the top (near ceiling). I don't think this would look to odd being at ceiling height. Anyone think different? If I do go with this plan I guess I could even put a border that could be larger than the 35-50mm and then I would absorb this small strip.

Now I've also worked out that I could cut a tile to 160mm and place this above the bath, which would give me a bigger tile at ceiling height and would still match the other features around the room. This would mean more cuts over all and mean battening the wall above the bath to start with whole tiles.

As for the positioning horizontally I am fine with that as by coincidence most walls sizes allow for almost whole tiles to fit with minimal cutting at each corner / end.

I would appreciate any advice,

Thanks,

Daz

B

Bartlett

Agree with David and Alan; a full tile above bath is never ideal as baths are almost never level horizontally, so plan the size of this tile to make other cuts around the room fit better, ie, at ceiling height and around windows, basin, etc etc.... Try to avoid any cut tile being less than 20% of its original size.
Good advice I learned at the beginning; 'don't stick your first tile until you've planned where the final one is going'
Prep and planning is everything.

D

DazJWood

Thanks all!

I shall probably go down the cuts above bath route. Just need to do a bit more measuring!

Incidentally, when there are cuts above bath and also above my shower tray., what is the best way to fix the tiles on these walls. I think the most typical way is to batten the wall, fix the tiles upward, then, (obviously when dry), fix the cut tiles below down to the bath / shower tray. Now if the area is tanked and there is no easy way to fix a batten (without screwing through the tanking!) what is the best method to obtain the level for the initial whole tiles? Hmm hope I have explained that ok.

Thanks,

Daz

Reply to Tiling planning advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling planning advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.