UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling round door problem. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

A1P

Had a bathroom with walls in bad condition and totally out of alignment.Decided with the customer to have the walls completely boarded out with plasterboard sheets dot and dabbed.Job done well, all level.However I and customer were aware there would be a problem round door as door architrave very thin and board edge would overlap it by a noticable amount.Hoped to come up with some sort of edging although not happy about it.The problem is now worse as the door frame is well out of the vertical.I now have a protruding edge which tapers ARGH!!!There is so good solution but i would happy with suggestions to make the best of it.The customer doesnt want additional work to door.-cost.I thought maybe a hefty architrave might improve matters but not sure it would look good.

C

Colour Republic

I'm not sure this is possible. I never dot and dab a wall with a doorway in it for this very reason, nothing you can do easily is going to make it look natural.

If you must build the wall out then I would always do it in stud work so the recess is more pronounced and looks deliberate rather than trying to make up a small gap (but this can make a small room even smaller). The other option is to replace the door liner but the customer doesn't want the added cost so what are you to do?

C

Colour Republic

the only thing I can think of is to build up the edge of the door frame with a planed wood to a thickness of the dry wall and tile, once your've tiled then put the architrave around the frame which will overlap onto the tiles

That would work but the only problem is that the paintwork would crack on the joint once the door had been used a couple of times

C

Colour Republic

We remove the lining, Replace in MDF cut with a plunge saw so the MDF sits at the same level as the surface of the tile, Then new facings sit\on top of the tile....Looks a pro finish and no risk of cracking

Works easily on outward opening doors...Inward openings require a little more work

Are you suggesting replace the complete door liner with MDF? (I assume you use this material so you can cut to what every size you require) If so it would work but unfortunately hanging a door off MDF does have its problems 1) it is much harder to rebate a hinge in soft material like MDF and 2) Screws have a way of working them self’s lose from MDF when any sort of weight (such as a full sized door) is placed on them.

Not trying to argue with anybody here just putting a builder/decorator/joiners point of view across:thumbsup:

S

simhopper

Are you suggesting replace the complete door liner with MDF? (I assume you use this material so you can cut to what every size you require) If so it would work but unfortunately hanging a door off MDF does have its problems 1) it is much harder to rebate a hinge in soft material like MDF and 2) Screws have a way of working them self’s lose from MDF when any sort of weight (such as a full sized door) is placed on them.

Not trying to argue with anybody here just putting a builder/decorator/joiners point of view across:thumbsup:

Yes just the liner and not the frame

Router works well on MDF

Longer screws

Cost wise it takes approx 1hr, On a normal bathroom job that takes 80hrs this is nothing in achieving a good finish

C

Colour Republic

Yes just the liner and not the frame

Router works well on MDF
MDF eats router bits, but thats not the point and only minor

Longer screws
Sorry to disagree but longer screws won't always solve the problem, 9 times out of ten longer screws won't take hold of the substrate behind and if they do it is only paying lip service, the problem comes when the screws chew up the MDF in the first place, you might get away with it in the short term, even more so with a light weight door. But if I replace a door liner than I want to know that any door can be hung off it in the future. The bottom line is door liners are not made of MDF because of this reason and are not repairable

Cost wise it takes approx 1hr, On a normal bathroom job that takes 80hrs this is nothing in achieving a good finish
This point I agree with:thumbsup:

Again not trying to argue but if you're going to do something (which I don't think in this instance the customer is going to pay anyway) then I would always make sure my changes are future proof:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

I would just extend existing frame with some Batten cut to size on a ripsaw then screwed and glued and when dry sand back, that joint will not crack any paint the tiles will fall off first :yikes:

Ok I shut up in a minute:lol:

Again I disagree, it will crack. As I’m multi-trade I have to make sure that no part of my work falls down, or it's me sorting it out!

I often hear on here how another trade has messed something up only for you to be left with a problem to sort out, so it's only right that where possible you don't do the same.

What I will conceded is that adding a filler is probably the cheapest and easiest route and the side effects of hairline cracked paint with have to be accepted by the customer by way of saving money. The less of two evils as they say

I'll get off my box now:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nardini

Much as I might have used MDF in the past as a panacea for all ills, in this case I would give the MDF a miss - certainly on the hinge side. Use white pine that has been (old age, forgot the word) aged/cured/matured/... ((What IS that word!)) and rout the edge to the final trim. That makes it look very professional (exhibition bodge trick) and the timber keeps some strength in the hinge fixing. Prime and paint and it will look a million dollars - but without the bill to go with it. If you need a stained wood look, use real wood - if you need mahogany, use mahogany, etc. Hope it helps to know how the master bodgers would do it! LOL!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling round door problem. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, new to forum and first post, after some advice. Recently had the chamber of my fireplace...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.